Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

I want to learn how to stop obsessing over a person (not romantic relationship)?

I catch myself automatically addressing them in my head maybe 5-7 times a day. Imagining conversations with them. If I’m doing something mindless (like washing the dishes) they pop up in my thoughts uninvited. When I’m trying to fall asleep - same story. 

Today the person actually appeared in my dream. I’m starting to get really fed up with myself. How do I make it stop? That person doesn’t care about me. I feel pathetic but it’s like I can’t control these intrusive thoughts (probably because of loneliness).

• Girl
    Favorite Answer

Distance yourself from your thoughts. You need to keep your mind on something else, and have a clear focus on a goal etc. If you feel the thought of that person will come on just do something to distract yourself from it. This will take your mind away from it.  Also surround yourself with people, that helps if you talk and are with other people and occupied. 

It might be because you still care for this person. 

Ask yourself why this person doesn't care about you, then try and reach out to them and apologize for whatever you might have done. Or better yet, ask one of your friends to reach out to this person and have your friend tell the person whatever you want them to know.

It's called "daydreaming."  Unless your daydreams are starting to impact on your life, I wouldn't worry about it.

just try to think about something else

• Teal

You aren't obsessing over them, you are projecting a fantasy on to them. It's normal, and really no different than crushing on a character or celebrity. Your fantasy version of them is entirely your own making and nothing like the real person. Rationally you know they aren't interested in you and you aren't going to act on these feelings. I think you should just enjoy the daydreams for what they are and stop feeling ashamed. They don't mean anything and aren't doing any harm. Eventually you will get bored and move on to someone new.