Have you guys sensed that the world is much darker and corrupted than 20 years ago?

I don’t know... I was only a child 20 years ago so could my perception be wrong?

Was the world this dark 20 years ago?

Thoughts?

How old are you btw?

Thanks in advance. 

• East

The world is MUCH worse now than 20 years ago.  There were no problems in the '90s, other than Congress and Bill Clinton fighting over dumb stuff.  There was a budget surplus, climate change was starting but its effects weren't felt yet, there was no such thing as terrorism (at least in the US, other than Timothy McVeigh and his kind), and the country was somewhat polarized but not like now.  

9/11, hurricanes, coronavirus, mortgage industry greed (2008), Putin/aggressive China and Presidents Obama and Trump wrecked everything.

In the 80s we had to deal with Communism and some terrorism but at least we had Ronald Reagan.

"But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. "- 2Tim.3:1-5

"4 And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of sorrows.9 “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. 10 And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. 11 Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But he who endures (in the faith) to the end shall be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end (of the age) will come."-Matt.24:4-14

Source(s): NKJV Bible

no it is not darker, just more in your face

tmm

Part of that involves our perceptions as children. Children tend to view the world through a limited lens and if life has been good for them, they see it as essentially good. As adults, our view widens. I see some things as better and others worse. One big change has been occurring for about 40-50 years. That is the slow decline of the post-WWII economic system with increased wealth inequality, climate change affecting unexpected areas of the Earth's ecosystems, increased instability in the developing world and its increasing impact on the developed world, and an increase in "tribalism" in its many forms. 

The hopeful news is that these matters can be addressed, but we may be in the early stages of a new (next) system. It is still in the infant stages and doesn't really have a name yet, but some of the efforts at localism indicate that it may be a bottom-up driven change which reaches a critical mass and then scales up accordingly. The increase in worldwide interactions via the internet opens up doors to solutions across the globe in ways unheard of just a few years ago. The increased use of Artificial Intelligence offers hope and difficulties. It can make life easier for people, but there is also the threat of significant unemployment in the transition. I am generally an optimist over the long term, but I don't doubt the changes can be rocky. 

How old am I? Mid-60s. 

it the sixities the world was much like it is today. very quiet. its been building noise every decade, getting louder and louder, dryer and dryer, hotter and hotter.

today, its nice and cool, I kan sit outside without roasting and really the only noise is a loud hissing and my television set.

it still feels dry and the grass has lots of brown in it.

so no, I do not precieve a "darker" world. But corruption?

I was too young but from what I read this corruption due to gangs and carpetbaggers goes back to the 1800s new york dock gangs, was first fought in the beginning of the last century and ended in the thirties when kennedy put the mob in prison, 

was reconised as commie attacks on the us government and people by joe maccarthy...

was reconized in the sixities and seventies by historians..

and has been brought under control again by the nineteen ninties by the law under and nameless leader and may be reviving again by the BLM attacks through weapons and politicians on the local police forces.

So ... are you all going to live with corruption the rest of your lives or admit your hogs liars and horse thieves ?

I'm curious because I have to buy horses now and they are very expensive.

I'm wondering whether I'll need to carry rope to rope the horses or hang the horse thieves.

I wonder..

I'm 23 (So I had to ask my moms perspective) she said in her opinion it is at least where we live in PA. But of course it is different in different parts of the country/world! In our area tons of crime and rape and we live in the country side! We always watch the news and she reads the news paper.

I'm in my 60's and can say the world was just as dark 50 years ago. The only difference is that we didn't have the internet and people were only aware by what they read in the newspaper. They had kids being kidnapped/murdered even then - can't get darker and more corrupted than that.

No it really isn't.

We had wars going on.

Now it seems there are none with the USA.

• Jesere

Actually crime has been decreasing the past 25 years

• Liz

Good morning Io. Yes, the world today is much worse than it was when you were born. There is no sensing, the evidence is right there in our faces according to Bible prophecy. You can take comfort in what it says at Luke 21:28 "But as these things (see Luke 21:11) start to occur, stand up straight and lift up your heads, because your deliverance is getting near.”

If you're interested in where the world is headed, please download the publication below.

Source(s): jw.org/What Can the Bible Teach Us?