For people who went to expensive colleges or out of state colleges, was the cost or debt worth it?

If you could do it again would you have went to a cheaper  or instate college?

Absolutely, went to private college. Small campus, individual attention, close alum follow up, high academic ranking, awesome education and experience and came away with skills probably would not of acquired easily in some other places. Got me into grad school on reputation.

My daughter went to an out of state university. Our public universities for our state have high in state tuition costs. Her academic scholarship  brought the tuition down, lower than our in state schools. 

Regarding distance, I attended an out of state college 600 miles from where I grew up.  It was a perfect fit for me, and worth the travel.  

As far as cost goes, I grew up in a high cost area of the country, but went to college in a low cost area.  It would have cost more for me to commute to a local college than it was to be a resident student at my school.