Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 month ago

Why do men go on one knee to propose?

I wouldn’t do it if I propose.

I know it’s a tradition but its strange to me

Yeah its to signal you are proposing to be loyal etc. And the fact most woman love it. 

Tbh I didn't kneel down. We been together for 19years and married for 8. Still going strong. 

It's a sign of submissiveness. It means he is willing to be submissive, and ask "pretty please, with a cherry on top" if she will only say yes. It's very sweet. If you cannot bring yourself to do that, then you are too full of yourself. Or maybe you are just from a different culture; then I'll cut you some slack.  

• Jon

It's not as traditional as people think. I suspect theatre and movies have given today's young people the impression that such things were more common in the past than they really were.

• Jerry

Michael has it right. Submitting a request, a proposal, a suggestion from that kneeling position is an old fashioned way of signaling that what is going on is serious and of great import. 

• There is this notion that you get on one knee to offer a ring and proposal.  You don't need to.  You also don't need a musical number and something scripted. 

"Knights would get down on one knee in front of their lord as a display of respect, obedience, and loyalty. ... "So when a courteous gentlemen was proposing to his lady, pledging his allegiance to her and declaring his undying love for her, getting down on one knee was the natural thing to do."