Joseph B asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Why do I find larger type harder to read?

I am a lawyer, and for years, I have prepared documents in Times Roman 12 font.  Recently, courts have required that I used larger type, such as Times Roman 13 or Times Roman 14.  Frankly, I find the larger type harder to read, especially while I am drafting the document on the word processer.  So what I do is prepare it in Times Roman 12 as usual, and then enlarge it to meet the requirements.

If it makes a difference, I am nearsighted, and I need glasses for distance.  To read, I take the glasses off (I do not have bifocals).

Is there any reason to explain why I find larger type harder to read?  Thanks.

If you read fast, there are fewer words in each view with larger print. When I was in optometry school, we had to use some low vision aids to read. This let us experience what it is like to try to read with a magnifier. Some of them allowed only one or two words to be read at a time. This was very difficult to do. Switching from 12 to 14 should have only a minimal effect on this. I suspect that as a lawyer, you read very fast.

your monitor is too big.