Sad asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 month ago

Is there any point to voting for the President in a state that always goes opposite of your choice?

With the Electoral College, is there any point to even vote for the President, say if you are a Republican in California, or a Democrat in Mississippi? The popular vote is irrelevant.

Essentially your vote only really counts in battle ground states right?

Update:

Go FK your self WT

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It is tough, I reside in a blue state & I know voting for Trump is a wasted trip.  With the highest taxes in the country & absolutely no organization you would think the people in this state would wake up, but they don't.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Our elections have gotten granular to the point where it's only certain counties in battleground states that matter. What we should do is make the 48 states that don't register Electoral votes proportionately do that. Nebraska and Maine already do it and that would make blue state GOP supporters and Dems in red states feel better about having their votes counted. 

• Tmess2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

As others noted, there are other -- more important for your life -- races on the ballot.  

The bigger issue, however, is how the states draw lines for things like Congress and your state legislature.  Both parties have nice software databases that show how every precinct voted in every race.  They look at all of those votes in all of those elections and decide how much that precinct leans toward Republicans and how much that precinct leans toward Democrats and how many "true" independents/swing voters are in that precinct.  They then use these numbers when they draw district lines and when they decide what congressional and legislative districts are swing districts that merit spending.  So while your vote may not impact the presidential race, it may impact whether you get to have a "real" vote for the legislature or congress or your county government.

• Dan
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Yes but the presidential election is actually not as important as the other choices you need to make on your ballot. Do you know who are your local supervisors?  I vote in every election. You need to study every issue and candidate on the ballot before you step into the booth. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kathy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes there is a point to voting.

• 1 month ago

Yes, there are five states that elect the president.  the rest of the states don't matter.

• Local votes happen at the same time, for the house of representatives.  I live in california and the presidential election is hopeless but we can still win the house

• 1 month ago

Don't feed the troll.              

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.