If you could add a new planet to the solar system, what would it be called? Where would you put it? No joke answers, please!?

Favorite Answer

Persephone, 72 AU from the Sun and intermediate between Neptune and Earth in size.  It would also be interesting to have a planet slightly smaller than Earth at a distance where ammonia oceans were possible, but that would be in the asteroid belt.  Thanks for the exercise.  It was interesting. 

• D g

Why no joke answers you asked s silly question planets are not put somewhere by us the positions are discovered by us 

There are no more likely areas where a planet would be in our solar system 

I would call it "Nowhere Man" and put it way outside the Kuiper belt where it wouldn't cause too much trouble.

As another poster implied: you can't just add a planet without it having serious consequences, due to gravitational interactions with the other planets.

• Thorn

novae terrae

between the earth and mars

The name Vulcan was bandied about for a Planet that was once thought to Be Orbiting the Sun between it and Mercury as something was perturbing the Latter's Orbit

Turned out Mercury's Orbit was really Eccentric

I'd call it "Urmom" and i'd put it on the widest orbit possible while simultaneously reducing it's mass as small as I could as not drastically impact orbits of other objects in our solar system. I'm not even joking, that's exactly what I'd do.

• ANDY

If I had the capability of "inventing" a new planet, then I would even have the capability of removing small celestial objects. Right? In this case I would first remove the main asteroid belt (Ceres included) and place in its place my new planet and call it: Helwa. 

• MARK

I would not do it. You can simply add a new planet to a solar system. It will have effects on the solar system. So it is not a simple as you make it sound.

• JJ

I would reinstate Pluto as a planet and leave it right where it's at.

Planet Klingon and it would be located near Uranus.