Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender & Women's Studies · 1 month ago

Men, do you have any problem with women taking self-defence classes?

It is necessary for women to learn martial arts to defend themselves against rapists and physical abuse by their partners. Do men hate women who learn martial arts to protect themselves?

• martin
    Favorite Answer

Most guys suspect that sooner or later, those self-defense moves are going to be used on them.

What? Why should I care?

Hell yes I have a problem with that.  There are way too many self-proclaimed experts offering classes who are total frauds in the self-defence industry,. and many of them target women in their advertising.  

Those bastrds should not only be charged in court, their bail should be set at a minimum of $25,000,000 per count.  Then they'd be able to show off their 'expert' techniques against rapists at the county lockup, which I would gladly pay to see.

But if a woman attends classes taught by an accredited instructor, even if she goes on to study and compete in combat sports, more power to her.  When instructed properly, women can be just as effective as any man in close-quarters combat.  Given the fact that they're usually smarter than us, they might even have a tactical advantage.

• Elana

"It is necessary" is clearly a matter of opinion as the majority of women have NEVER learned any sort of martial arts and women still live (on average) longer than men.

You might think it's a good idea (and, at least in many places, I agree with you), but your premise is obviously wrong.

As for what most men think, I wouldn't hazard a guess.  However, most men would prefer their wives and sweethearts, daughters and mothers NOT get hurt.

Sure, it's great to think you can protect everybody - that may be the source of a hell-uv-an ego boost, but it's even better if nobody gets hurt.

Why would I?............

• Jack

"Men, do you have any problem with women taking self-defence classes?"

Not at all. 

"It is necessary for women to learn martial arts to defend themselves against rapists and physical abuse by their partners."

I think everyone should know how to defend themselves.

"Do men hate women who learn martial arts to protect themselves?"

In my experience, the answer is NO!

• Zirp

Not at all

What I do have a problem with is pretending that rapes are carried out by some stranger in a dark street.

Most rapes happen at home, by someone the victim knows , trusts or is dependent upon.

Heck, in the 1950's, forcing your own wife to sex wasn't even legally forbidden

• Bill

Yes. Lets just say that I won't date a woman that knows martial arts. It should however be noted that self defense classes doesn't necessarily mean martial arts or even effective means to defend yourself. For that matter, knowing martial arts doesn't mean you will be able to fight off an attacker nor does it mean that what you learned will transfer successfully to real life. It should also be noted that men know martial arts too and in fact more men than women know martial arts by a good margin. 

• y

I have no issue with women who decide to take that path. Unfortunately, just becouse one has taken classes does not mean it will translate to real life, male or female.

Yes. I do. A BIG problem. There is *nothing* wrong with women learning techniques for ARMED self defense.

The implication that there is something wrong with learning the use of weapons feeds into our society's demonization of those who want the basic human right of access to tools for armed self defense. 

Train 'em, then ARM 'em. And anybody who babbles about hand-to-hand doesn't understand combat. Being unarmed is not some mystical power. The purpose of hand-to-hand is to fight your way to your sidearm. The purpose of your sidearm is to fight your way to your rifle.

Setting women up to fail because *you* have a psychological complex about weapons and believe Hollywood hype about karate is not a good idea.

Trained, armed, and DISCIPLINED civilians, organized under labor unions and tenants groups, should be the backbone of public order, general or private. Participation would obviously help women too.

Sure, if you want to go down to the studio or the dojo and have a little sweat time, that's fine. But it ain't no substitute and pretending it is is dangerous both to you and anyone who listens to you. 

No I think many people will respect them for doing so because you never know what kind of crazy you will have to deal with in this world. Definitely don't count on those classes always saving your butt though, you might have to fight a much bigger stronger or more highly trained person than you so the best idea is to try to avoid having to confront someone in the first place. Get out if a bad situation before it gets worse