Anonymous

Does anyone know?

This is going to be such a dumb question but I’ve been in university for like 2 years now (this year/semester is my second) and I still don’t know how the freshman,sophomore,junior, and senior here thing works in university. Does it go by how many credit hours you’ve taken? How many years you’ve been here like highschool or..? I’ve been taking things my own pace where I can actually like keep up so I think I have 19 credit hours taken.  So does the classification system work with the credit hours...idk lol. I know this is such a dumb question that I’m supposed to know but I don’t I’m sorry but can anyone explain?

By credit hours, for the most part.

Until you have completed 30 semester credit hours, you are still considered a freshman. 

Number of credit hours completed determines whether you are freshman, sophomore, etc. Lots of college students are part-time, or take full-time but less than typical course loads. So it's all about the credit hours. Typically, 120-128 credits to graduate; from entry to 30 hrs completed = freshman; 31-60 credits = sophomore, etc. Typical semester course load is 15-16 credit hours, with a minimum of 12 credit hours to be full-time student. 

i would ask your school this question

Almost all Us go by credit hours. For example, if 120 particular hours are needed for graduation, 0-30, 31-60, 61-90, and 91-120 would be the breakdown. For your school, look in the student handbook.

• Expat

There is no specific answer to that. Most students identify themselves thus by number of years as students, but courses are also sometimes referred as "freshmen courses" or "junior. . " based on their numeric code: 1st year courses are 100 or 1,000 level; sophomore are 200 or 2,000 and so on. 

It goes by the number of credits successfully completed.  Most institutions use the semester system, with 120 credits needed to graduate.  Consequently, a student with 0 to 30 credits is a freshmen, 31 to 60 a sophomore, and so on.