Should I go to med school?

I am a 26 year old male who is going into final year of family nurse practitioner program. Been a nurse for 5 years. I have been debating recently about going into med school. This thought wont go away. I have a 3.91 GPA, but haven't taken the mcat nor some prerequisites. If you were in my shoes, would you?

I wouldn’t go to medical school. Medical doctors out up with too much crap now. Health insurance is a pain to deal with.  And malpractice costs are outrageous. The cost of the education to be a doctor is outrageous. 

Why not finish your education and stay in your field? You will still be with patients and helping people.  Salary is good and it is a great career.

Why would you want to be an MD when you are nearly finished with a nurse practitioner program? First, you need to complete all those prerequisite courses, do well (above 90th, preferably 95th, percentile) on MCAT. Then IF you can get into med school, there goes 4 more years of 80+ hours/week in school, labs, homework, and everything. Expect to spend at least $500,000, probably closer to $750,000. For what? What do you want that you cannot achieve as NP? You appear to be on track for an excellent career right now.

• Expat

We can't answer this for you. You should, by now, have a fair idea of the level of work involved with completing the program and the high pressure and standards expected of you. It is a serious commitment, not to mention financial commitment, so only you can make that decision. You could take the MCAT and see how you do and what your real chances are and decide after. But don't ask strangers to make this decision for you. Remember if you quit, you don't get a refund for what you've spent or borrowed to do it. If you start, do it to the end. 

you may fail but how do you know if you don't try. do you want to spend your life saying what if?

While there are no guarantees one will get into medical school, your GPA is high enough.  If you complete your pre-med requirements and do well on the MCAT, you would be in the running.  You also have demonstrated medical ability. I would recommend going for it.  

i would go if you wanted to go