Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Am I right to be upset at my mom for being pregnant at the same time as me?

I got married last December and I have just found out I am pregnant. I'm so excited as I have always wanted this and I'm 24-years-old. However, about a week ago I went to visit my parents and my dad told me he had some very exciting news to share and then my mom said 'I'm pregnant!' My mom is 42-years-old and my older sister who is 26-years-old was not happy. I had told my sister about my pregnancy and she and my husband are the only ones that know. My parents went on to have 3 other kids. My sister thinks it's so selfish of my mom (& dad) to have another child because of the huge age differences and it's our time live that experience as she has already lived it. 

As for me, I agree with what my sister said; I am not angry just really upset. I thought for once in my life I will get some sort of attention that this is the happiest time of my life, but my mom ruined that feeling for me. 

Am I right to be upset?

• L

NO.  You should be happy for your parents and stop whining.

Nope, you both were evidently getting the D at the same time, big deal

You have a right to feel whatever you want... 

however, I’m a bit shocked by it. You’re about to have a baby brother/sister and all you think about is the fact that you’re going to get less attention? I doubt your parents haven’t done this on purpose. Don’t let your bratty sister influence your thoughts. Think of it like this - your baby is going to have an Aunty/uncle of the same age that he/she can be lifelong friends with. YOU are going to have a brother or sister soon.

at least your baby will have someone her own age to play with

In your situation, I wouldn't be upset. First off, this is going to be your baby brother or sister, your blood. Secondly, pregnancy is not cake. For many women it's not an enjoyable experience, especially close to term. You'll have someone who not only understands, but is going through similar experiences at the same time. And that person is your mom. 

I get that you wanted to be the center of attention, and your feelings are valid but imagine how your mom feels right now with at least two of her children rejecting her when she needs them the most. Also, it might be "your time" as your sister believes, but it's still your mom's time too. Nature obviously agrees or she wouldn't have gotten pregnant. Your mom is still young enough to enjoy birthing a new life. There's more than enough happiness to go around. It doesn't have to be rationed and can be shared. 

• GB

Diddums!  You got pregnant for attention den? Aww!   In a few months the babies will be getting all the attention!

You are the selfish one.  You apparently think that your mom is finished living a good life.  She had her turn; now it's your turn.  If anyone should be upset it's you mom if you've let on that's how you feel.

• Jesere

Why?                   

• edward

Children are a blessing suck it up!

Right and wrong are moral issues.  If you were raised to believe your mother's pregnancy is competing with your pregnancy, then you are right.

You summed it up - "I thought for once in my life I will get some sort of attention."  Nothing like getting pregnant to get attention!

I am sorry for your husband who must be clueless.