Anonymous

My dad isn't supportive of me becoming a doctor?

He says that I will have wasted so much money getting a degree that he says I'm wasting my time and that I should just drop out of medical school to become a truck driver like he was

I'm a 3rd year medical school student

If you're already in third year why are you worrying about this only now?

Now then: are you going to ask us a question? Telling us your dad isn't supportive isn't a question.

Ignore him. Learn to listen and respect him because he is your father but than after get right back to your studies the next day.

your dad is sadly mistaken.

so say "OK DAD SHOW ME".  Sit down with him and do the math.

Naturally you should not ask a question or make a demand, unless you already know the answer... so  you will have already done all the math yourself right?

Your dad is not entirely wrong of course.  The pay grades for doctors is all over the place with many kinds of doctors making no more than many other professionals.  In IT for example, I am a DBA and make more that 2/3 of all doctors (and lawyers).  I am a bit of a specialist and have been doing it for 35 years but still, I have only an associate degree.  This of course would never fly today for new IT professionals, but you get the idea right.

If you want to be a doctor, then be a doctor.  If talking with your dad is not a fight, then talk with him about it.   After 3 years invested I say keep going till you decide you don't want it.

If you're in med school, you obviously have something going for you that your father cannot or will not comprehend. He's speaking from ignorance, or jealousy, or simply does not want his child to achieve more than he did. Ignore him. If he persists in putting you down, tell him you cannot accept his attempts to undermine or sabotage you, and you are cutting off all communication with him until he stops belittling you & denigrating your achievements.

Well, hate to tell you this, but your dad is what we call a loser.  Tell him that when he's old and dying, you will only pay what a truck driver could afford to take care of him.  The average truck driver makes between $40k-$70k.  I made over $70K about five years after finishing my BA.  When I finished my doctorate (not even medical) I doubled my salary.  Depending on your chosen specialization, you will probably make more that I will, and have the potential to make four times what your father makes.  When you invite him to your mansion, have him park his truck in the RV spot.

That sucks, do you have a question?

highly doubt a  third year med student would ask this at all at certainly not on YA. Very suspicious. Dad may be right

if you are asking this question,

may be your father has a valid point.

• Darla

Ignore him. Be what makes you happy.