adam asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Do antidepressants permanently destroy your sex drive ?

I remember back in 2012 before I was prescribed antidepressants, my sex drive was out of this world. But once I got prescribed for the first time in 2013, it went to crap even after I came off of them. 

No..............       

IDK.....wouldn't know

I don't think so

no way.........................

• Lili

No, they shouldn't.  Some people experience loss of libido while on them, but the effect is not permanent.

And not all patients experience problems with libido.

Side effects are listed in information that comes with medication because SOME patients have experienced them, and you need to be warned that you might as well.  However, the fact that SOME people experience an effect doesn't mean that everyone will.

And these drugs should not permanently alter your sex drive.

See your doctor and have your hormone levels tested.  Note that depression itself can interfere with libido. It's possible you still need treatment.

No, that's bullshit. I take 2-3 zolofts everyday for anxiety and depression and my sex drive is still high as a kite.

No. And each drug is different. If the side effects are bothering you, ask your doc to try a different option. There are many. 

no i dont think so, it should return to normal once you come off it

• Mike G

No, they don't.

It impacts your hormones and so it is not as easy to get in the mood sexually