Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

how do you escape a toxic family?

i am 17 almost a legal adult and i have had an abusive family for years, mainly my dad not my siblings. they don't support me in anything at all, they verbally and mentally abuse me and they have caused my depression, anxiety and anger issues. i don't want to live with them any longer, how can i escape them when im ready

when i said they i meant my mom and dad

Don’t tell them any of your goals? Keep away from them!

• Carmen

Pray for peace of mind and a calm heart until you’re able to move on your own or find reliable roommate or someone you can trust to help support you financially. Sometimes some Parents can go overboard with rules expectations etc but usually it’s because they care and want the best for you. As far as it depends on you be peaceable. 

Get your hs diploma, ON your 18th birthday go join the Military, learn a trade, go to school amd better yourself become a officer and retire with a great retirement package.. you said your 17 so that means you have less than a year to put up with them..

Do you have friends? You could live w a friend while you are able to get your own place.

Do you have a job? even if it's a part time job it's important that you work and save in an account that doesn't have your parents names.

Find a place to live. Get a job!!!

I worked part-time, went to high school full time, saved my money, moved out the day I turned 18, put myself through college, never looked back.

talk to cps about it

Start working now. Don't let it interfere with school too much, but get a job and save all the income.

Make lists of what you need to own to live in a furnished room. Look for these items at stores' online sites and figure out what it would cost to get them. At a minimum, you'll need sheets in the right size and towels and probably an entertainment device, although that might just be a laptop or notebook. You may need blankets or some kind of rug on cold floors.

Buy a couple of used suitcases or duffel bags at a thrift store.

Near your 18th birthday, start looking for furnished rooms. You need to be in walking distance of your job and school, or near public transportation that gets you there.

Pack all your possessions you're not currently using and seal the boxes. Keep track of what's in which box for your own convenience. (This minimizes a risk.) Start buying what you need to live elsewhere.

Once you turn 18, rent a furnished room. Before you announce that you're leaving, move all your boxes there. If what remains fills more than your suitcases, move it in shifts when nobody is likely to notice.

Ready, set, go. Tell you family, calmly, that you're eighteen now and that you're moving out. Ignore people being upset and go. If somebody's angry, good thing everything you own is already over there, huh? They can't destroy what they can't reach.

Okay, now you can relax a little. Pick up extra hours at work, but never let schoolwork slip too far. Ask for more hours during school holidays. Save as much of your pay as you can by living simply.

Be mindful that you could be limiting yourself to a life of low-paying jobs if you don't continue your education. Take one or two classes at a community college while working full time after you finish high school is fully do-able.

• IOM

Out the door, the second you turn 18. 👍 🙂 

• God

Get a job and move out.  Promise yourself that if you ever have children you will do a better job.  LLAP