WOKE WHAT???

I keep hearing people using the word woke - what does it mean?

it means spooky

• Kate

Yes I wondered that too. It's a stupid expression.

• HMFan

To become aware of and sympathetic with others’ point of view, life circumstances, and underlying mechanics of the social machinery. This usually involves some introspection and the horrifying discovery that you are actually part of the problem.

I was asleep then i Woke up

As in the opposite of asleep (at the switch, wheel - what have you). Some 3 1/2 years ago America was caught napping by conservatives who's fascist policies are systematically ingrained into the mechanisms of our society. We failed to realize how dependent they are upon such policies. This catch word reminds us to stay awake, aware and work to circumvent, subvert, change and eliminate them. Those dependent upon fascism can't live long w/o it. 

It means AWARE. 

• John P

It is one of those 'buzz words' currently in use in the 'human awareness' sort of community.  I note from David that 'catch word' is the latest American equivalent to 'buzz word'.

Probably only those people who use it know what all the implications of 'woke' are.

The answer by IOM is probably close to the meaning: - "alert to injustice in society, especially racism"

'Woke' is the simple past form of 'wake', as in: "I woke up at 7.30 this morning".

it is the past tense of wake .. as in i woke up at 530 this morning

• Zirp

it means "you are brainwashed sheeple and you won't see the Truth untill you have read these hundred books and watched a thousand hours on youtube"

• IOM

As an adjective, "woke" currently means "alert to injustice in society, especially racism".