how long will it take me to drive four miles at five miles an hour?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

well it takes 60 minutes to travel 5 miles. so we know the number is less than 60. so divide 60 by 5 and you get 12 minutes a mile. multiply 12 minutes by the 4 miles you will travel and you get 48 minutes

• 1 month ago

bombastically

(60*(1-1/5))/60=4/5 hr

• 1 month ago

Notice mph = miles per hour OR miles/hour.  This is how you do this problem. 

Speed = Miles divided by hours, therefore: Hours = Miles divided by Speed. The units tell you how to do the problem.

4 miles/(5 miles/hour) = (4/5) hours = 0.8 hours

Hope this helps.

• 1 month ago

To damn long.. I will walk and be there before you get there..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't mean to be rude, but WAYYYYY TOO LONG! You can get fined for going to slow! To answer the question, 48 minutes

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Gosh, I was not much good at upper-level maths at school in the 1960s, but I can do that sum in my head in about a minute.

And with a wee bit of effort you could walk it or jog it in that time.

But you would have to worry about the coolant or the engine oil overheating if you drive very slowly like that!

• 1 month ago

Well, let's see:  4/5 x 1 hour = ?  Sorry, I don't know.  This advanced mathematics is just too difficult for me to grasp.

• 1 month ago

The key is to figure out how many miles you can travel each minute. That would be calculated by diving 60 minutes per hour by 5 miles per hour. So it takes you 12 minutes to travel one mile. You want to travel 4 miles. Just multiply 12 minutes per mile by 4 miles and you will get your answer of ________ minutes.

Source(s): I've taught math and many other subjects. And have helped out lots of students and others with various problems.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

60/5 = 12 min* 4= 48 min

• 1 month ago

48 minutes......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.