If I wanted to upgrade my 49cc motor to an 80cc+ motor for my Motorized Bicycle, what would I HAVE TO buy?

Besides the motor, what parts are universal/compatible and do not need to be changed for upgrading the motor for a higher CC. I lack mechanical knowledge so if I'm not making sense or is confusing, my bad.   I'm very ignorant of the mechanics and operation of all this. 

I'm wanting to upgrade my 49cc Motorized Bicycle to an 80cc, 100cc, or maybe the Predator 206cc if possible. I just don't know if I have to purchase a whole brand new kit, or just a few parts. 

I appreciate any advice, thank you for your time. 

Favorite Answer

Car engines and large motorcycle engines can have their cylinders bored out and have oversized pistons installed. Also, it's possible to gain a little extra displacement with a different or modified head. Another way to increase the volumetric efficiency of an internal combustion engine is to add a turbocharger or supercharger to the intake manifold. Like dude, you can call around to automotive machine shops and get the rates for this stuff, but seriously, for your mouse-sized engine it ain't worth it. The closest reasonably-priced high tech engines similar to yours are used in radio-controlled (RC) model aircraft. 

• John P

If you post photos, make sure they are useful photos.. I can see only a very bright reflector and a small part of the front part of the frame. All the rest is too murky to see.

• F

Go to the motorcycle spares shop and ask for 31cc.

one problem you might be running into is licensing for anything over 49 cc. Many mfgrs don't want you to just put a bigger displacement cylinder on everything else because that will make it a motor-driven cycle (NOT a "motor cycle", they are 15 Hp and over.) and need licensing, endorsements, lights, etc. Or even an 80 cc motor on their existing  clutch and drive. 

No such thing as :"100cc moped" they are 49cc or a motor bike.

You do realize that the reason most motorized bikes have 49cc engines is because most states have passed laws that anything with a motor 50cc or larger is considered a motorcycle which requires a license plate, driver license with motorcycle endorsement, and DOT approved helmet - and can only be ridden on the street not on sidewalks.

You're in over your head with this project, just enjoy the motorized bike for what it is, and someday you can buy a regular motorcycle if/when you choose to do so.

• Barry

Unlikely to be possible as a larger piston will require a different crankshaft.

Even if it were possible you would have problems with legality, insurance, brakes etc etc. Save up and buy a 100cc moped.

• adam

Your gonna need better brakes thats for sure! Like disk brakes I see on hi end bicycles. As for the motor Im not familiar with that