Your waisting your time trying to save trees...the earth is gonna survive longer than you ?

Yes of course, the earth will be here longer than us

this is of course true.

The earth is a survivor.  It does not need saving.

Save the earth is really save mankind.  If we fail, the earth will be green again after 1 million years and full of life.  Man just won't be there.

The earth will, but people won't.

Trees are only a temporary carbon sink, when they die they will rot and return the carbon dioxide back to the atmosphere.  Hopefully humankind have long term interests in the survival of the Earth that go beyond single generations.  It is a journey not a destination.  Just like future trips to the star they will be voyages of generations, with a beginning and an end or success

i wanna have kids

It's not the Earth we're saving as much as the ability of the Earth to sustain human life - and tree life too. The oxygen/carbon balance is essential. I don't see what's so hard to understand? 

I remember, back in the day, George Carlin saying the Earth will shake us humans off like a bad case of fleas. 

In one sense, definitely true.  In another, I still have to live here and the quality of that life does depend somewhat on what we as people do.  So, even if I only take the selfish approach (the one you promote, not the one I choose), there is still reason to "waste time".

The biggest problem though, is that your premise is self-centered. It is not only just about you.

If you only had a brain!!!

If you did have one you would realise that the way we current humans are destroying the world may not kill us off but it WILL kill your children or your children's children.

Is this want you want to leave behind? You give me the the impression that as long it does not kill you you don't care about those who come after you.

I assume from this that if you have children and they have children if they die because we are failing to protect the planet you just DON'T care.

• Jill

Earth might survive longer than us but we don't have to hurry that along.  Having breathable air will be nice in the meantime.  

FFR: wasting not waisting. 

That still doesn't justify the artificial depletion of biodiversity though does it? 

It's like saying; it's okay if I burn your house down, you can always build another one!