Max
Max asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

My mother always says things happen for a reason and she’ll point it out when something good or even serendipitous, happens. I don’t know what to believe. I know probability is a shaky science and a lot of occurrences might be quantum but I don’t know. Was I always destined to be a loser to go to grad school at age 27 and have no money and live with my parents. Lots of my teachers expected a lot from me but obviously that wasn’t the plan. 

I leave pondering the workings of the cosmos to philosophers. I like practical ideas.

While he was filming Jaws, the hit movie that established his reputation, director Steven Spielberg found that his mechanical shark was nearly impossible to work with, subject to constant breakdowns. After giving the problem some thought, he realized that a shark the audience could not see would be scarier.

Optimism sometimes gets a bad rep. There's stupid optimism, which says that things are great when they're obviously not, but there's also smart optimism, which is always looking for ways to make lemonade out of the lemons life gives us every day - big ones and little ones. Instead of cursing your bad luck when things don't go as planned, look for the advantages of the new situation. Use your imagination. This is how to be "lucky." 

Some tips

When you're in a bad mood, look at the thought that triggered it. See if it's false or otherwise useless. If it is, let it go and replace it with two positive thoughts.

Count your blessings, and remind yourself of your past successes.

Stop and smell the roses.

I've answered a lot of mental health questions, with advice from experts about a variety of problems.

There's a lot of things that can help. For example, you might be interested in stress management advice. Research has come up with various things that are effective and easy if not downright fun.

No I don't...

There are things that happen for no reason.

That's Pretzel Logic. What ever happens, happens. No reason what so ever. That's like saying every thing good that happens is God! Bad things it's the Devil. Some idiots think it's God in control of everything.