Moving to San Francisco?

I think it’s time to leave my current state and move to San Francisco. No, I’m not a troll. No, I’m not broke. Yes, I have an education, and yes, I do know it’s expensive. 

I’m not out to impress anyone, but everyone I talk to says it’s too expensive, and how I won’t make it, how I’m early in my career and people who are actually experienced only go out there, and a bunch of really stupid things. Like, what about all of the students? I have friends who have moved out there for internships and have come back. Why can’t I?

I applied for an internal transfer thru the company I work for and I’m really interested in the experience. All I need is a small apartment and a cat. Why is that so offensive?

Favorite Answer

Its not offensive, just expensive. On the one hand you might get a better deal on rent than a year ago due to covid 19. Many people are fleeing the cities now for the burbs. So rent might be down now. But let’s assume it is not - you can probably find something - it will just be way smaller than you might be used too. Or you might have to take something far from downtown and have a higher commute. You might have to have several room mates. 

But if that is what you want to do then I think you should do it. I have visited it several times and I think it’s great. 

I have two alternatives for you? Portland OR and Seattle WA are also on the west coast but not as expensive. They have big gay communities. You could also consider Sacramento CA - its a hike from San Fran but it is lgbt tolerant and you could visit San Fran on weekends. 

But if you have a job lined up and you have the money and are willing to put up with the rent and accommodations issues - hey nothing wrong with going for at least a year to see if it is for you. Travel broadens the mind. 

If you’re going to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

I live in San Francisco now and I'm as poor as can be and still finishing college. I work for a food delivery company. I know many other people here who are low income and manage by finding a small and shared living space. While San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world for housing, the cost of living has gone down a little bit since the pandemic began. The most difficult part of moving here is finding housing you can afford, but otherwise it's not hard to move here. We're a growing city of almost 900k people of all income brackets and education backgrounds. 

"No, I’m not a troll."

Yet to be determined.

"but everyone I talk to says it’s too expensive"

Something to think about.

"how I won’t make it"

"I’m early in my career and people who are actually experienced only go out there"

From the movie Pretty Woman (replace Hollywood with any city any job); 

Welcome to Hollywood! What's your dream? Everybody comes here; this is Hollywood, land of dreams. Some dreams come true, some don't; but keep on dreamin' - this is Hollywood. Always time to dream, so keep on dreamin'.

San Francisco isn't the only LGBT friendly city in the country. Anywhere on the West Coast or in the Northeast would do.