Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 months ago

I don't draw for myself anymore, anyone with the same issue?

Hi everyone! 

So as mentioned previously, I don't draw for myself anymore. It's not that I can't draw, I'm a professional animator, I'm quite productive both in animation and illustration and I'm happy with what I create, it could be better of course but it's fine. 

The problem is that for the past few years, I've been either working for studios or individuals, and I have to force myself to produce art outside of that. And I enjoy making that art! I find it calming, I love playing with colors and shape, I have fun while doing it! 

But I remember as a teenager just filling a ton of sketchbooks and drawing for myself constantly, and the fact that I don't know how to go back to that is just so frustrating! 

Especially since I have some free time now! I want to draw like I used to but it's just not happening, and I don't know why.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation, and if so, what steps did you take to fix it?

Try drawing with ink or permanent marker. start with a simple design that is not any specific object, and then build off of it with equally non-specific designs.

the purpose of this exercise it to let your mind go blank and allow yourself to draw without pressure of quality or utility.

I've been there. The why? For me, I think it was because art became a job.

How I got back to it was to force myself to sit down and draw. I also browsed loads of online galleries, watched YouTube art videos etc. to get inspired. Once, I got started it became easier. Events like Inktober have also been a great way to get started. Being "forced" to do one piece everyday really put me in a situation where I couldn't overthink things or procrastinate.

Basically, just do it. Don't wait for inspiration.

You need to separate the spaces of professional work and fun work and find a balance 

• sam

I found that joining some drawing classes and groups made me more willing to draw for fun, because there was a social aspect to it. 

One example is Drawing America: a group of talented and enthusiastic artists, which runs a lot of virtual one off classes in the evening.

I can understand were you are coming from with this and I figure your just to wore out after work to play.......and to draw, is a force yourself kind of thing to do after using up all your imagination at work....and I guess you, from your words have free time and just can't get started for you have no purpose to do so.......remember it is just a game you are playing so get out of the house and go play with your talent to draw....Art talent is special so have fun with it and start with the a flower and let the fun come back....Life steals the kid in us, for grownups don't do such things like sit on a corner and draw faces for a dime......

Go to a gallery (if you are not allowed out many galleries have virtual tours).

Spend two or three hours wandering.

Gather inspiration.

Draw.