Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 months ago

I don't draw for myself anymore, anyone with the same issue?

Hi everyone! 

So as mentioned previously, I don't draw for myself anymore. It's not that I can't draw, I'm a professional animator, I'm quite productive both in animation and illustration and I'm happy with what I create, it could be better of course but it's fine. 

The problem is that for the past few years, I've been either working for studios or individuals, and I have to force myself to produce art outside of that. And I enjoy making that art! I find it calming, I love playing with colors and shape, I have fun while doing it! 

But I remember as a teenager just filling a ton of sketchbooks and drawing for myself constantly, and the fact that I don't know how to go back to that is just so frustrating! 

Especially since I have some free time now! I want to draw like I used to but it's just not happening, and I don't know why.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation, and if so, what steps did you take to fix it?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Try drawing with ink or permanent marker. start with a simple design that is not any specific object, and then build off of it with equally non-specific designs.

the purpose of this exercise it to let your mind go blank and allow yourself to draw without pressure of quality or utility.

• 1 month ago

I've been there. The why? For me, I think it was because art became a job.

How I got back to it was to force myself to sit down and draw. I also browsed loads of online galleries, watched YouTube art videos etc. to get inspired. Once, I got started it became easier. Events like Inktober have also been a great way to get started. Being "forced" to do one piece everyday really put me in a situation where I couldn't overthink things or procrastinate.

Basically, just do it. Don't wait for inspiration.

• 2 months ago

You need to separate the spaces of professional work and fun work and find a balance 

• sam
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I found that joining some drawing classes and groups made me more willing to draw for fun, because there was a social aspect to it. 

One example is Drawing America: a group of talented and enthusiastic artists, which runs a lot of virtual one off classes in the evening.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I can understand were you are coming from with this and I figure your just to wore out after work to play.......and to draw, is a force yourself kind of thing to do after using up all your imagination at work....and I guess you, from your words have free time and just can't get started for you have no purpose to do so.......remember it is just a game you are playing so get out of the house and go play with your talent to draw....Art talent is special so have fun with it and start with the a flower and let the fun come back....Life steals the kid in us, for grownups don't do such things like sit on a corner and draw faces for a dime......

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Go to a gallery (if you are not allowed out many galleries have virtual tours).

Spend two or three hours wandering.

Gather inspiration.

Draw.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.