Alex asked in PetsCats · 3 months ago

How Can a Indoor Cat Get Sick?

I want to adopt a young cat but I've never had a pet before. I tried searching illnesses a cat can get before I decide to adopt one but most of the ones I see are from interacting with other cats. I don't know any cats and even if I walk the cat I doubt it'll see one. What are some illness that I may want to think about before getting a cat? I'm a college student so while I can provide the basic stuff I don't want to get in too deep end not have the money to provide for the cat due to my naivety. (By sick I mean small things that canc add up like how ppl sometimes get colds, flu etc)

indoor cats don't get as much sickness as an outdoor cat. If u don't have much money then get the cat pet insurance. If the cat gets sick etc around 80% of the bill is paid by the insurance company

Colds and such are nothing much to worry about.  Cuz everyone gets them. What's worrying is being able to tell between a cold vs something bad. I thought my cat was having a cold but turns out he was on the brink of death. Cats hide things like Colds pretty easily so when I noticed his "cold like symptoms" it was pretty drastic. 

So: make sure u know about worms and fleas.  If he has fleas there's a good chance he'll eat an infected flea and ull have to get rid of the worms by vet or over the counter meds. 

It's better to have them spayed or neutered cuz it's benificial to their health and behavior.  It'll maybe save u thousands. 

A healthy cat diet is not kibble. It's like u eating potato chips. Avoid that cheap crap like meow mix.  Buy the better kibble if anything. But also buy whatever wet food and meats. Cats biology is carnivore and it's actually unhealthy for them to be eating dry **** and plants. I wouldn't say it's animal abuse to feed them kibble but it's just not healthy and can be the cuase for things like urinary crystals and blockage (especially in boys)  Cats are bad when drinking water so pour some water into the kibble and even canned food. 

Of course indoor cats can and do get sick. 

Injuries are not contagious, and most illnesses are not contagious either.   Diabetes, kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, cancer...all very common in cats, particularly older ones.   

Even if your cat doesn't become injured or sick, it will still need veterinary care.  It can cost $1000 or more if your cat develops oral disease and needs dental surgery.  Imagine what your mouth would look like if you didn't brush your teeth for three years.  

You may wish to consider pet insurance.   Or you may consider waiting to get a cat until you have $1500 in a cat savings account and can add $50-$75/month to it.  

Some pets are really low maintenance and don't need much vet care in their young years.   But some pets are high maintenance from the get-go.   There are no guarantees. 

If it gets so sick that it may cost you thousands to cure it then you may need to consider euthanasia. There is nothing unethical about that choice. In most cases cats may get minor illnesses (e.g. worms from ingesting fleas, urinary tract infections) that may only cost less than $100 to fix. You can limit visits to animal shelters that have vets on staff. Spaying or neutering is probably the biggest cost for most cats.  Vets in private practice will charge more as a rule.

• *****

My cat, adopted as a young adult from a shelter, had been kept indoors his whole life - by both the prior owners and me. He had recurring cystitis, was prone to urinary crystals and infections, and had to be fed an expensive special diet to help him with that. He was believed to have been exposed to feline calicivirus by his mother as a kitten, became a chronic carrier of the virus, and had dental issues during flare-ups. He had scarred ear canals due to untreated ear mites, also likely as a young kitten, and had to be put under to have them cleaned out several times when they became infected. He had been declawed in front by his prior owners and developed severe arthritis as a result, and had to undergo expensive surgery to remove bone fragments and masses of scar tissue from his feet (the vet who declawed him did an extremely bad job) to alleviate some of his pain. He then developed what ended up being a large malignant tumor at the lower end of his nasopharynx, which cost thousands of dollars just to get diagnosed, and ultimately did not respond to treatment and was inoperable, resulting in his needing to be euthanized when he could be longer swallow food. 

My mother-in-law's indoor cat developed diabetes and then his kidneys failed, among other ailments. 

Indoor cats, while less likely to become ill than those allowed outdoors, certainly can accumulate their share of vet bills if you are unlucky. If you can't cope with a large vet bill, you should take out veterinary insurance. 

Cats are on the whole very healthy.  Apart from needing to get them desexed and have their teeth cleaned (a vet does this) every few years it's unlikely an indoor cat will get sick.  If they do then it will generally be a virus of some sort and they'll get over that in time.  Just like humans there's no real medication for cat virus'. Good luck, a cat will add a lot to your life.