Carly asked in TravelCruise Travel · 2 months ago

Royal Caribbean cruise?

I'm going on a royal Caribbean cruise next year with my family. It stops in Florida, Nassau, and Cocoa cay. I'm gonna be turning 19 on the cruise. I've read that the drinking age in Nassau is 18. And my mom has agreed that i would be fine with one drink. Would I be allowed to drink since the ship knows I'm under 21? I'm scared of getting in trouble by the ship. 

You'll be able to drink in Nassau, but that's it

Double check with the cruise line's website, but more than likely the drinking age onboard and on the private island is 21.

• Mrsjvb

Not on the ship.  Only in those ports where it is legal for your age

• Den B7

You can't drink on the ship or any property owned by the cruise line.

• Wundt

If the ship's home point of origination is in the USA then the onboard drinking age will be 21, if the ship leaves from another country the onboard drinking age will likely be 18.  

What you do on shore is none of the cruise line's business, they have no say on what you consume and where you go once you have left the ship.  If you are over the legal drinking age for that country then you are legally able to drink alcohol (there are businesses in such places that specifically cater to American tourists between 18 and 20 coming off of cruise ships).  Your only restriction is that you may not return to the ship with alcohol, it will likely be confiscated.

• Robert

I'd be willing to be cash money that you can drink according to local laws applicable in the waters in which the ship sails. Even if not, I'm also willing to bet more cash money that if your parents acquire a drink for you to celebrate with, no one will care or say anything.  Enjoy.