Where should I take my parents on vacation?

I grew up poor and so did my parents. I have this opportunity through work to win a vacation at the end of the year worth $1500 and as it stands now I will get it. I can go anywhere, and work will cover that much of it. I have always wanted to treat my parents to something special. I’m hoping to leave the US as my mom has never left the country. (But I would be open to a few suggestions in US as well for backups, I live in Washington State). Preferably not Canada or Mexico as that may be an easy option for the future. I want to take them somewhere they would probably never get the opportunity to go otherwise. My mom is afraid of flights, but she said she will power through it for such a cool thing like this. My dad works all day normally, so I doubt he wants to take an active vacation, ie hiking the alps. But my mom would love to see Cultural things, but is also worried about saftey and getting lost if there is too much language barriers. Does anyone have good vacation ideas that will fit the budget and blend their two wants? Google searches have yielded me nothing. 

You need to research and budget first.  An over seas trip for three people is going to cost a lot more than $1500. Even with the low airfare, your $1500 won’t cover flying three people round trip. 

And who knows when you would be able to travel outside of the US and without being quarantined for two weeks. Stay in the USA. You say blend their two wants. But all you say about your dad is no hiking.Hit a big city.  Chicago has plenty of culture, museums, art, concerts. They have professional sports game. The beach. Good restaurants and shopping.  You can take a boat ride on the river. But all of this depends on the availability.  Many things are still closed. And we have no idea when they will open.   

Don't your parents have any suggestions?

I think that you should start pricing out things like plane tickets and lodging.  I don't think that $1500 is going to get you as much as you think it will.  $1500 might cover plane tickets, but that's about it.

My last trip overseas was to Ireland, from the east coast of the US.  Snagged the plane tickets on a budget airline during their "grand opening" sale to promote the new routes.  Rented a car and paid for petrol.  Stayed in Airbnbs, not hotels.  Ate one decent meal out a day, but nothing extravagant.  Purchased minimal groceries to cover breakfast and on the go snacks.  Only visited one attraction that wasn't free, and that was only a few euros per person.  Minimal souvenirs- I bought one necklace.  Even with this budget-conscious trip, it ended up being somewhere around $1500-2000 per person for a five day trip- and we were REALLY careful with money.  The car rental was more expensive than both of the Airbnbs together; if you do look into Europe, you may want to stick to an area with great, inexpensive public transit or the ability to walk everywhere you want to go.

I don't think that $1500 will get three of you to the Caribbean, Europe, etc.  I'd be skeptical about Hawaii, too, even coming from the west coast- but I'd certainly price out Hawaii.  I usually use Kayak to start looking at airfares, and then make purchases directly from airlines, not a third party.  But a site like Kayak will let you see what tickets are generally going for.

Within the US- where has your family been?  Have you asked your parents where they have always wanted to go?  What do you like to do?  You could go down to California- create your own driving tour through Napa for wine tasting.  Explore a city like San Francisco, or head further south to Disneyland.  It all depends on what you and your parents like to do.

Everything I can think of would end up being more than $1500.  I really enjoyed visiting Arizona- a few days up at the Grand Canyon (hiking, watching the sun rise, a jeep tour, etc.) and a few days in Sedona (relaxing by the pool, dinner out, trolley tour.)  I think anywhere on the east coast (NYC, Boston, Washington, DC) is going to run you more than that $1500 because of airfare, but they ARE great cities to visit.

You said no to Canada, but it might be something to keep in mind.  Have you ever been?  Do you and your parents have passports?  I can't weight in on western Canada, but would you be in driving distance?  I hear Vancouver is a great city to visit.  I can sing the praises of QC and the maritime provinces, but that will exceed your budget.

Good luck- I know what it's like to have the travel bug and not a lot of funds.  You'll definitely need to some research, and then figure out what's most important within a trip and how to save money where you can.  In the past, Airbnb/VRBO has been a huge money saver for my family (I don't know if this will continue... I know short term rentals like this have been banned in many places due to the pandemic.)  Enrolling in hotel perk programs, being okay with less expensive, less resort-y hotels, packing food/buying groceries rather than eating every meal out, and finding free things to do have all been money savers for me.

• MS

First, you may not have many international options for a while considering how things are going with COVID.

Second, that $1500 probably won't even cover the cost of 3 plane tickets, especially international ones. 

You might want to consider a trip to the UK if things all work out.  There are some great cultural things to see, some beautiful scenery to take in, some fun attractions and sights, nice places to relax, etc.  And they speak English! US citizens currently have to quarantine for 2 weeks upon entry though, so I wouldn't make a vacation of it until that has been lifted.

You will find that many people speak English in the highly touristy areas around the world, especially in Europe, the Caribbean, and Central America.

There are also a lot of great places in the US to visit.  You could do a drive down the California coast, visit New Orleans, visit NYC, visit Chicago, Visit Washington DC, stay in the Smokey Mountains around Pigeon Forge, drive through the Florida Keys, etc.  Again, all of this depends on the the COVID situation getting under control.

What a nice thing for you to do for you parents though!

The way things are right now for travelling, there's no way to tell what countries you could travel to at any given date this year and even next year. And travel restrictions have been known to change almost overnight, leaving people unable to get home, facing quarantine if they do get home, etc etc.

Why don't you go to Hawaii? It's within the US, easy to get to from Washington, different enough to be interesting but still sort of familiar.

I don't know what your budget is. You didn't really say. If it's $1500, you'd have a hard time going anywhere for more than a week even within the US. $1500 will get two people to an airport in Europe and that's about all. It might get 3 people to an airport in the Caribbean.

$1500 won't go very far on airfares to other countries. Do some research on that so you'll know how much you'll have to supplement from your own money. I would suggest Europe, but that's very expensive from the West Coast. Japan would be a good option for you. It's much safer there, especially for women, than just about any place in the U.S.  As for the language barrier, there are people everywhere who speak English. Japan can be a little challenging away from the tourist hotels and restaurants, but it would be quite easy to book tours to the places you wanted to see, with English speaking guides.

If you can afford the airfare, England is loaded with cultural attractions- and people speak English!

Hi Destani. Based on your preferences, I would recommend a trip to a quiet island in the Caribbean or some interesting destination in Central America. From the United States, the distance and flight time is not too much, so your mother will not have such a bad time. They are not excessively expensive places (it depends on the hotel and city you choose) and they are extremely quiet. The only drawback would be the language, but believe me that, being so used to receiving foreigners (basically their economy is supported by them), they will be able to understand any tourist place they go.

I use a very interesting website that helps me when making a trip, because it gives me destinations to choose based on my needs and preferences. Here i leave it: https://www.filtrip.travel/