Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 month ago

Did you get put to sleep for your wisdom teeth removal?

My dentist says I need my wisdom teeth removed ASAP and I'm really scared because I have a low pain tolerance and I hate going to the dentist anyway. Should I get put to sleep for the surgery? Did you get put to sleep for it? 

I asked to be put to sleep because I have diagnosed anxiety and knew even with pain medication there would be no way I was letting them take my teeth out without having a severe attack. I also have a history of bad experiences with the dentist so it didn’t help. However my sibling was awake and was up and back to their regular routine (minus eating) the same day.

No. i have had three out of four of mine pulled and I was awake each of the three times.

Not a fan of being put to sleep.

It depends on the pain tolerance of a person. But as a surgeon that takes out wisdom teeth on a regular basis, i see it is very comfortable for both the patient and the surgeon if the patient is under sedation. As a surgeon we can work faster and better instead of worrying all the time about the patients comfort. Sedation is safe if it done by a highly trained Dentist. 

• kelvin

i had too as i had 18 other teeth removed at the same time

The dentist in my area no longer put you to sleep for any dental work and just a jab in the gum to remove any teeth - it is over quicker than the time it took you to read this answer but if you are really scared they can arrange for the teeth to be removed at day surgery at local hospital,  Long time ago when I got 2 of mine removed as well as another two molars I got the jab, got them removed and went back to work an hour later. Good Luck

• k w

I did, and regretted it too, but that was long ago, that was the stone age, 1965...and since then I've had the good and the bad so I have experience and know the difference, find a Biological dentist and get a consultation. they are leaps and bounds above the quack dentists......

I had one remove 2 root canalled teeth, root canals are unhealthy, the saved dead tooth flakes off dead cells into the blood that's not healthy, and after the anasthesia wore off, not only did I feel no pain my jaw/gums were never sore, not even the next day, and I took the homeopathic pain killers while I was still at the office I drove home, I never felt drugged up, it was an awesome experience...

• Rick

yep, my dentist TRIED to pull them, put couldn't, so I went to an 'oral surgeon', and he got them !!

• Sandy

You need to discuss this with the surgeon.

You would not be completely asleep as you would be for major surgery such as an appendectomy. You might have "twilight sedation".

Source(s): Dental assistant

I didnt but, I only had one pulled. 

they give u anesthetic.

anesthetic is a painkiller, so u won't feel it during the procedure.