Taking drugs on a plane?

I dont mean illegal drugs. The person I will be travelling with does not know I have this certain condition I need to take medication for every night (i dont plan on telling them any time soon).

I don’t want to have to get them out at airport security whether they are in my checked luggage or carry-on. Is there a way I can keep them concealed in my checked luggage?

It seems as if your only concern is that you don't want your travelling companion to know that you take this medication. If your journey is short enough that you won't need to take it during the journey, just pack it in your checked luggage - there is no need to "conceal" it. It's not in the least uncommon to travel with some kind of medication in either your hand luggage or your checked-in luggage - Security won't care.

If you have to take a pill or two during the journey, just carry them in a mini pillbox, and surely you can engineer a moment alone - in the toilet, or while your companion is in the toilet - to swallow them without being seen?

You can take your prescribed meds on the plane, no problem.

As the others have mentioned, the TSA is not interested about your medication. The TSA is only interested in things that are a threat to aviation such as weapons and explosives.

If placed in checked baggage, just pack it as you normally would. If you are bringing it as carry-on, keep it stowed in your carry-on bag when submitting it through x-ray. (Note: If your bag is selected for an inspection, it is will be due to something else that needs inspecting. In such a case, ask for a private screening where the screening will be done out of public view.)

I am assuming pill form, but I will also include the link for liquids too:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/what...

As Roger K. asserted it is recommended that you bring your medication as carry-on in the event your checked baggage does not make your flight.

Source(s): Work part-time as a TSA officer.
  • F

Always take a copy of your prescription as it saves a lot of explaining if you get stopped by customs, esp if you don’t speak the lingo.

• For medicines/medication, just put them in your shaving kit/toiletry bag.  I do this with vitamin supplements when I travel and I've never had an issue.  If they're in the prescription bottle you should be fine.  As long as it's not something illegal (cocaine/heroin/methamphetamine) they don't care.  

You should always put medication in your carry on bag.  It goes through the scanner. 

Put all Medication in a large plastic bag. 

TSA doesn’t care what Legal medication you bring through or what you are taking. 

Never put medication in your checked luggage. 

Airport security IS NOT THE PILL POLICE.

If in your Checked baggage NO ONE in particular your friend will see them.

Carry on bags? Depends if your friend stands beside you while your bag is dumped for further examination.

You may have pills. WHAT the real issue is that you are hiding a medical condition.

Medication should be in your carry on bag. It can be packed discreetly.

DO NOT put your medications into checked baggage. If that gets lost, you will not have your pills.

There is no problem with prescriptions and over the counter items. I have traveled for years with multiple medications and have NEVER had any issue with the security checkpoint. You can just keep your pills in any packaging you want, in your carry on bag. You do not need to take them out. If you have liquid items, then they should be in the 1 quart zip lock bag along with all other liquids, gels, creams and so on. That bag does need to be removed from your carry on.

Is this a liquid or pills? You don't have to take pills out of your carry-on luggage- only liquids. Your checked luggage doesn't go through security with you- you check that, then walk through security with your carry on bag. Although it's very unusual for a checked bag not to arrive with you these days, it's still possible, especially if you change planes somewhere- so don't put things you absolutely have to have in your checked luggage. 

Yes, you don't have to get prescriptions out of your carry on to go through security. And if you check your bag then this is also no concern. Prescriptions are a standard travel necessity, not usually an item that requires inspection because it's clear what it is on the x-ray.