What is causing my low oil pressure light to come on at randoms times or not at all?

In my 2004 pontiac grand prix gt, my low oil pressure light will turn on either right after i start my car, maybe 20-30 minutes down the road, or it wont turn on at all. Im not quite sure how to fix it or what the problem is to be honest and would love some guidance or help.

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

The first thing to do is check the oil level in the engine and add oil if it’s low. If you haven’t changed it in a long time, change the oil and filter using the correct oil. If the light still comes on, have a mechanic temporarily connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the engine and verify or refute the low pressure light. If the pressure is low and you don’t want to spend a lot of money on an old car, switch to 20w -50 weight engine oil. I had a 1972 Pontiac whose oil pressure light would flicker if I used 5w-30 oil. It was an old car and using 20w-50 kept the light off. 

• Barry

As the car is 16 years old I assume the mileage is high. It's possible that the oil pressure switch is faulty. Worth changing to see. Or worst scenario the main bearings are worn. I would change the oil to fully synthetic 5w-40 and see if there is an improvement. If not it's a major overhaul of the bottom end. Or trade it in while you can.