Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Boyfriend’s family treat me like his mother, is this normal?

My boyfriends family see him as a child. They expect him to be solely my responsibility. They expect me to do all the house chores and buy all the food, drive him everywhere, pay all the bills.. I’m getting a bit fed up with it as It’s hard to handle. Anyone experienced this? Advice? He tries to contribute but can’t get a job and as his family see him like this hopeless child he doesn’t help out like I would like. It’s hard to cope with sometimes

maybe you should stay away from his mother

It's not normal that a productive person would date a loser like this, no. 

By doing this you have made an uncomfortable bed for yourself, haven't you? You don't include information such as whether you are living together, whether he can drive, has a car, etc. 

You need to have some serious discussions with this "boyfriend", who doesn't really seem to be much of a friend (but certainly a boy!). Personally I would give him a month to grow up, find a job and contribute to the household. Or move out if he/you are living with his parents.

Good Luck!

• dman63

Your boyfriend needs to get away from his family.  Their attitude towards him is not helping the situation, and it’s the only way he’ll really be able to grow up.  Otherwise, I wouldn’t hold out much hope for your relationship.

You are the only one who can change your own situation

• g

How does "how they see him" become your responsibility? They can think/see/say whatever they want, it's still ultimately your choice. Their expectations have nothing to do with you!