Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How do I convince my dad to buy me a car ?

Okay so for more context. I’m not a high school student. I am 21 years old and a senior in college. I have been driving since I was 15 and have had my license since 16. I am a straight A student who never gets in trouble. My dad makes around $500,000 A year. I even offered to contribute $5,000 in car costs to help myself get a car. He just doesn’t want me to get a car, but why? How can I convince him to buy me one?

maybe you should buy your own and get a used one

If you have enough savings to be able to contribute 5K to the purchase price, then you should be buying YOUR OWN CAR, without your dad's help. You're 21, NOT 5. Grow up. There's nothing stopping you, as an adult, from buying your own vehicle. Granted, you may not be able to buy a Mercedes or a Lamborghini with 5K, but you should be able to buy a decent late model used car with no problem. And with the way the market is these days, you can probably get a good deal on a new vehicle, provided that you buy within reason and within your budget.

I would go ahead and start looking around at vehicles and taking test drives. When you find something you like, buy it. If it's used, make sure that you have a mechanic look it over before any sale is completed, though, so you don't end up with a lemon.

As for why your dad won't buy you a car, it's likely because he probably feels that you should be doing this YOURSELF. You're more than old enough now, and you have enough income to do it, so what are you waiting for? The sky to fall in?

Here are some general suggestions I make to younger teens in case you might get some helpful ideas from them. Ask to have a serious discussion with your parents about how they see things panning out in the coming months and years. It needs to be fairly rational, so if one of you becomes too emotional (e.g. angry) it would be best to time out and try again another time. Prepare in advance what you would like to say and ask: write a plan, even.

As you reach each birthday, for example, or each new school year, what rights, freedoms and responsibilities will you have? Chores, pocket money, curfews, dating, etc. will all come into it, obviously. You can't really expect something for nothing, so think about what you can put into the family and household as part of your negotiations as to what you can get.

If you are to grow into a responsible adult, it must be a gradual process: if they keep you wrapped up in cotton wool and then suddenly let you out of the box at eighteen, you won't have enough experience to know how to handle it.

That said, your parent(s) is/are responsible for your safety and welfare during this time: no doubt they love you and they themselves have the experiences you don't yet. Seeing things on t.v. and hearing your friends' (exaggerated?) stories aren't quite the same.

If they don't want to do this, ask them if they will please consider a plan and talk again in a week or so. All plans need to be a little flexible, as unexpected things can happen, of course.

Hopefully this will show that you have a maturing attitude to your family and your life.

Good Luck!

• Tj

He must be giving you a reason. what is it.  At 21 he may want you to buy your own. Talk to him.

Not an entitlement!  Nowhere it states that parents MUST buy their kid cars.  Only makes them not appreciate their vehicle......dad will give me a new one!

Peace.

• d j

First find out the reason why he doesn't want you to buy a car.