Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Who would be america's dad?

I was doing some homework for my American History class and I was learning about the European colonization of early America. And then I had this random thought. It's pretty obvious that the mom would be England, but who would be America's dad? Would it be like France? or the Netherlands? And would Spain be the uncle? Cuz the Spanish empire was to the south and their culture was pretty different. This is very random, but I'm honestly just curious.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Celtic people are the people who invented the USA.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

England is not the mom, England is more like the crazy uncle of the family.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Cute rambling through the woods of words.

England (actually Britain at the time of American independence) was called the "mother country" of the British Empire.  She was the "home nation".  She provided her colonies with settlers (children) and supplies.  When the colonists were well settled, they provided her with the produce of their colonies.

France was the "mother country" or home nation of the French empire. Her colonists were to see her as a nurturing parent, the same as Britain's colonists were to see Britain's role.  When Britain conquered and annexed New France, she took on the "nurturing parent" role  (Les habitants may have resented their new stepmother, but ... well, Maman is no longer ours)

Germany saw home life in patriarchal terms and so is known as  "Der Vaterland" - the Father as Head and Ruler of his family.

Consider that the natives were told to call the ruler of the "home country" of Britain, France, Spain, the United States or whoever as "The Great Father" (or "Great Mother")

• 2 months ago

France is probably the 2nd most influential country, just behind Britain. France helped us during the American Revolution and they just happened to be fighting the British in Europe at the same time which meant that England could not send everything they had to suppress the revolution because it would leave them vulnerable to an invasion of their home Island. Obviously the defense of their core territory would take precedence over any colony, no matter how profitable they were.

I don't really understand the criteria you are using to say Britain would be our mother and the same goes for the father as well. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • blu
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

George Washington is considered the father of the country. But, I'm curious. Who are the different Mother and Father countries of any territory? And what criteria would be used to define one as the Mother and the other as the Father?

• John P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Though you could, vaguely, regard England and then Great Britain as the 'mother' of the USA, you could not really go much further in trying to think about European 'relatives'. Perhaps regard France and Spain as 'cousins' to Great Britain, and the Netherlands also, and Germany, and a few other parts of Europe.  Spain held quite a large part of what is now south-western USA, hence all those Spanish names in the south and west, and words such as 'sierra' and 'canyon' and 'stampede', not used in British English. And, of course, Russia owned Alaska until 1867.

• TB12
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No one knows, Mom was a bit of a slut, leaving kids everywhere she went,,, Canada, Australia, Kenya, Belize, India, New Zealand, Hong Kong, etc.,,, girl just couldn't keep her legs closed.

• Phil
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The dad would more likely be Ireland/ Scotland, Italy or Germany.( or Africa).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That  is a very narrow and inadequate way to conceptualize it. Lose that thought and try again. 

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A country is not a person.

Trying to compare it to a person and a family is pointless and nonsensical.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.