What's the deal with Wario's and Waluigi's physical appearances?

Hi. I'm just a bit curious about this. This is something I've wondered about since both characters were created.

If they are human, why do they have pointy ears? Why do they have pointy shoes? 

Why do they each wear gloves that bear their respective symbols on them (Wario's gloves each have a "W" on them and Waluigi's gloves each have a "Γ" on them)? Was this done so people wouldn't confuse them with the Mario Bros.?

Why did Wario go from wearing a long-sleeved yellow shirt, which was part of his original character design, to a short-sleeved yellow shirt?

Did Nintendo ever officially explain all this?

Please help. Thank you.

Thor, that doesn't explain why Wario and Waluigi have their respective symbols on their gloves, or why Wario now wears a short-sleeved shirt.

Favorite Answer

Consider this: shape theory dictates that things that are round are usually seen as cute, harmless, or good-natured, such as Mario and Luigi's noses, eyes, ears, and shoes. Things that are pointy or triangular are usually seen as scary, dangerous, or evil, such as Wario and Waluigi's noses, eyes, ears, and shoes. Wario and Waluigi are meant to be the evil, weird, and unsettling versions of the Mario Bros, hence why this works in their design. Consider this as well: perhaps Wario and Waluigi's ears are meant to be reminiscent of devil horns, since they're the bad versions of Mario and Luigi? Because I could easily see how that could be the case. Idk, this is just my take on it.

one word evil clones thats why and nintendo never really gave an explaintion why but thats the jist of it