Should I get a MacBook Air or a MacBook Pro? ?

So I’m in need of a new laptop for school. I’ve only owned windows laptops and currently have a chrome book which I hate using. I also haven’t been liking windows lately. I just want something new and been curious to try the Mac OS. I already use iOS on my iPhone and iPad so I’m familiar with that. 

Im just not sure which if the two to get...i don’t do hardcore stuff. I don’t do heavy gaming either. Mainly going to use it for college, hw, and maybe streaming Netflix. At first I think the Air is more ideal but Idk the Touch Bar in the pro looks cool but idk if it’s just a gimmick. Also do care about speed and performance. 

And advice what to get? 

The Pro will have several advantages over the Air, including storage and power. The Air's biggest advantage is its portability, being thin and lightweight. If you can afford it, go for the Pro.

Chromebooks are okay as a placeholder. Either Macbook would be fine, depending on your budget.