takkk asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Native English speakers: Which one do you usually say, Band-Aid, adhesive tape, or plaster?

Which one do you usually say?

(a) Can I have a Band-Aid?

(b) Can I have an adhesive tape?

(c) Can I have a plaster?

Thank you. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Favorite Answer

In the US, the product you reference is actually called a "bandage."

"Band-Aid" is a registered brand name for a bandage made and marketed by the Johnson & Johnson Company.  Many Americans call the item a "Band-Aid" even if they do not buy the J&J branded product.

"Adhesive Tape" refers to a roll of sticky tape that some people put on bruises - often over some gauze.

"Plaster" is not used in the US, unless you are referring to a material placed on a wall surface.

There are three different things in the US.  And most people say Band-Aid.

Adhesive tape is not the same thing. It can refer to any tape used to hold things together but in the US it's generally used for a type of tape used to attach large bandages or gauze pads to your skin. And you would say "Can I have some adhesive tape?" or "a piece of adhesive tape" not "an adhesive tape." "Tape" in this sense is an uncountable noun.

Plaster, in the US is never used for what you're talking about.

You are describing what we call a band-aid. For a small cut.

"Adhesive tape". This is used to bind things like wires and pipes. Or maybe a gause to the skin.  BUt usually called a bandage.

• John P

In Britain I say "plaster". 'Adhesive tape' is what sticks things together, not people. Americans say "Band Aid". In Australia they say "Durex", but don't try that in Britain!

In Canada, we say Band-Aid, or bandage.  Plaster is a UK term.  Adhesive tape is something quite different.

Elastoplast or sticking plaster in my part of the UK.

It depends on where you are. In Britain, "plaster" or "sticking plaster"  would be the most common. In Australia and New Zealand it is "band-aid".

I say A) bandaid.

Band-Aid.