Kat asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Should menstrual products be free for women?

I watched a clip today. It was about women who are lower class who go some months without period products because they can't afford them. They use toilet ppr or socks or even cut up shirts. I've never really been one to think ppl should get free things automatically but I'm kinda torn watching the stories. 

What do you think?

Thanks

Rick - that's why I usually am against the idea of 'free' but I just feel so bad for their situation

Favorite Answer

Some girls have to miss school during menstruation, because their parents can't afford products.  So yes I believe that we either bring in free products for all women and girls or we at least provide them for those who can't afford them.

Perhaps not free but I do think they should be covered by EBT programs like other grocery products are. They currently are not. 

• Bill

@Green Puffin: Schools already provide menstrual products to girls from poor families. 

Anyway, there is currently organizations that provide poor and homeless women with menstrual products like Support the Girls, #HappyPeriod and A Woman's Worth Inc.

Of course.  That should be self-evident.  It's a matter of public health.  I snarl at the silly reply by another "Anon." in this forum.  In SANE countries, universal free healthcare has been a fact for decades.  Water is free save for a nominal delivery fee to everyone who has a dwelling place.  Food is a matter of personal choice.  We are all free to select our diets.  

I also hold that housing should be a right under the constitution of every nation.  This again is a mater of public health.    

Yes, but then shouldn’t food, water, healthcare, and shelter be taxpayer funded/free at the point of service as well?

• ,

Yes and they are free where I live (UK) to those on a low income, charities give them out and there is a continuing drive to stop girls missing school because they can't get towels. The same should happen in other countries that don't do it. To the answer talking about food, shelter etc, that can be free in generous countries to those in need. First you help them, then you give them training so they can buy these things themselves. The answer is not throwing people into the gutter. If you equip someone then they will end up getting employment and will pay for any help they got when they pay tax.