Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Why don't more people live in multi-generational homes?

This question is geared towards the USA specifically. Why is there such a rush to move out after becoming an adult? It's so much easier sharing expenses and household tasks. Also, you don't have to worry about what to do when you lose a job. Lastly, you never have to be alone.  There are almost zero negatives to this type of arrangement. 

• LizB

1) Being able to support yourself is a mark of adulthood.

2) You should have emergency savings to get you through job loss.

3) Some people enjoy living alone. It's peaceful. And for women tends to be far LESS work than living with romantic partners or other family.

• A

After spending  18-20 years raising kids we adults want them out on their own so we can have some peace and quiet, take trips, enjoy ourselves.  Parents are supposed to raise their children to be independent and self sufficient.   Many couples downsize their homes when the kids finally move out so they can't move back in.

I lived with my parents for awhile in my 20s. I had a full-time job and was saving up for college. Quite honestly a lot of family and friends looked down on me for it and thought I was just making excuses to "not take responsibility," and said things like "If other people your age are doing it, I don't see why you can't," etc. It even got to the point where people were asking about things that were really none of their business. I started getting the impression they were jealous of the financial stability I was building. I really didn't know any better and often avoided contact with people who might criticize me about it at the time. But then I started realizing there were other people who lived with their parents their whole life, so I didn't feel bad. 

I'm not sure if my parents were okay with the arrangement at first, but they became more accepting of it later. I faced some criticism at first because they wanted bragging rights. At a young age, they expected me to get married/have kids or be a lucrative career woman. There was no in between. 18-22 is a hard age to be. There's so much pressure to succeed and live the life someone else wants you to. But that pressure goes away as you get older.

Regardless what you do in life, each path will have its pros and cons. It is true that moving out is rewarding and good for your personal growth. But it is very expensive. Why spend $1,500/month on rent/groceries/insurance/etc. just to say you're BARELY independent or relying on roommates? Really the only benefits of moving out is that you get to party and have sex. 

In America, it is a social norm to want to become an adult, get an education and a job skill, get a job, get married, move into your own home and have children in that order. 

This is normal for American culture.

However, it was not uncommon to live in a multi-generational household just a couple of generations ago.  And as with any living situation, unless the people in the household have RESPECT FOR ONE ANOTHER, it will become a living hell in which others try to control.

• g

You've clearly never met my mother. No way i'd live with that woman again. I'd far rather be alone than a prisoner under her roof again.

maybe they dont get along with their relatives