My cousin states his classmates scored low grades and got into med school yet he surpassed them and didn't? How is that possible?

The short version of the story: he is college-age and he claims to have scored great grades but his classmates/friends scored lower grades and still got into med school, pediatrics school (which is what he wanted to do)? How is that possible?

My understanding is: in order to get into any type of medical program (including nursing, pharmacy, pediatrics, etc.), you need As in science and maths especially. You also need a good average overall.

Am I right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Favorite Answer

If you are in the US, your cousin's story doesn't pass the smell test. Medical school in the US teaches pediatrics, but there is no such thing as "pediatrics school." To get into medical school in the US, one needs as close to a 4.0 average as possible.  One must also score very highly on the MCAT examination.

• MS

There is no "pediatrics" school in the US.  You go to medical school, and you don't specialize in pediatrics until after you complete medical school and enter a residency.  

In any case, grades are one part of the equation for medical school admissions.  Grades and MCAT scores are primary.  But medical schools also look at relevant volunteer and work experience, letters of recommendation, and interviews.  So yes, someone with lower grades could be admitted over someone with higher grades.

• Brian

He forgot to tip the members of the selection committee.