Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Landlord won’t give me keys for apartment?

Hi everyone, landlord and I got in a disagreement because I hadn’t got my keys on July 31st when I was supposed to. I emailed him and finally got an answer August 3rd saying I was supposed to contact Ethan. I told him I don’t have ethans number. He never responded. He’s never gave me ethans number. I emailed him August 8th asking if we could work something out, he never responded. He has kept my deposit, plus 2 months of rent I paid upfront. I had to work something out with my old landlord and pay an extra month rent when he didn’t give me my keys. Is there anything I can do about this?

You should show up at the apartment complex with a police officer. He owes you the keys--OR your money back. One or the other. 

Find another place asap and demand ALL of your money back, since he refused to allow you to move in for - 8 days?  Tell him on day X, you gave up and found another place and if he does not return ALL of your money, you will sue him, and he will have to pay for court costs, interest, maybe lawyer's fees, and punitive damages, because you shouldn't have had to deal with his BS.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Telephone the guy. He has a business. Many people do not text or use Email. They use the telephone and answer the door if you knock. Expect that from many people. Some will never go electronic. And yet they run successful businesses.

This sounds really suspicious, like you were scammed. Possibly the landlord is just a scammer who doesn't even own the property you applied for and Ethan isn't even real.  

I would keep trying to get the keys a little longer but you might want to go to the police too (though its not clear that they'll be able to do anything).

It sounds like you fell for a scam

• Tavy

Sounds like a scam. Contact the police, it's fraud.

Do you know this person is actually your landlord?  If you rented without a physical visit, never got a signed copy of the lease and never checked to see if he was actually the owner then I am sorry to tell you that he stole your money.  Do you have a physical address for him?  You are going to need a lot more than just an email address to go to the police with this.  Good luck getting your money in a civil court action from a scammer.  You can get a judgement but will never collect.

Find a new place to stay and sue them.

What's your end game here?

You can't force the guy to rent to you.

But you can sue him to get back what you can.   Keep all the documentation.

• Rick

KEEP all those texts and messages, just in case ................