Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Why do some people only call their friends while they're driving?

What happened to chatting on the phone while sitting on the couch?  Do they have better things to do than talk to you while in their home?  Are you supposed to feel special that they crammed you into their tight schedule by calling during their drive to the dentist or on their way to pick up a pizza?  Half the time it's just them road raging: "Ugh, some jerk just cut me off."  "Why are there so many idiots on the road today?"  Then two minutes later it's "Gotta go, I've arrived at my destination."  Why not call at a time and place you can have meaningful conversation?

In the before days when people had to go to work, race around doing errands, etc. the car was for some the only time they had to touch base with a friend. It's not ideal of course, distracted driving and all that, but for some that's the only way they'd get a chance to call at all. This would be especially true for people who live with partners/children as once you get home you should be focused on your family rather than chatting with friends. 

i would just ask them to call you back later when theyre not driving so they dont get distracted

I know someone who spun out while on the phone, maybe if she had 2 hands on the wheel and was paying attention she and her boy in the back seat would have survived.

• Ann

It's soooo annoying isn't it? My brother and sil only would call me when they were driving. Never any other time. I would entertain my brother from work until he pulled in the driveway. Then suddenly time was up. I stopped answering the phone when I saw it was him. It's like you're not worthy of their down time.