Putting PhD program on my CV?

I just started a PhD program and I want to add it to my CV, but I'm not sure that would look given how the program works. I have my undergraduate degree, and in the program you spend the first few years getting your Master's, and then the rest of your time getting your PhD. Should I just list it as a PhD program (since that's technically what it is)? Or should I somehow indicate the fact that I'll be getting a Master's first? As of right now, I have it as "[University], Ph.D. in Psychology, In Progress" (it's not formatted like that, but those are the words I'm using).

• Tavy

In the U.K. a Masters and a PhD are 2 different things. We don't have combined here. You take your Masters then apply for a PhD which is 3 years of research.

You need to list you are studying for a Masters, there is no guarantee that it will lead to a PhD.

What you have in mind is fine.  I think the keys that you'll have to address with an employer include:

1. How far along are you actually in your Ph.D. or Masters program?  Have you taken any classes, are you a class away from the Masters? 

2. Why is your pursuit of a graduate degree relevant to the job to which you are applying?

3. How will your graduate school work/commitments impact your ability to do the job to which you are applying? Is it an online program? Are you doing it part-time?  How will you go about doing your original research once the classroom portion of the program is finished?

Unless working towards a Ph.D. or Masters is required for the job, listing your participation in an unrelated gradate program may be a negative for an employer looking for a full-time worker.  Just something to keep in mind.  Of course, if the graduate studies will limit your availability for the job, it is essential that you share that information in some way.  

• MS

Since it is a doctoral program, then you should list it as such.  When you receive your MA partway through, then you should indicate that on your CV.

I also completed a program like this, and we were considered doctoral/PhD students from the very start of it.  The conferring of MA degrees was not a big deal at all - it was just a given once you had completed a certain piece of the coursework toward the PhD.