Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

how can property taxes double in one year?

my dad passed away and I had the deed put in my name then the property taxes literally doubled

Update:

what could have caused this? a fee for emergency vehicles and coroner's office put off on the taxes for something?

Update 2:

the property wasn't re-appraised and the beginning of my street is ghetto trash which is why I don't understand why my taxes are so high

Update 3:

the taxes doubled before my name was added to the deed.... the house loan is still in is name. this is an estate still.

18 Answers

Relevance
  • L
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Go to your nearest Court House, Assessors Office and ask this question.

• 1 month ago

In my state, California when a direct family member inherits a property the assessment remains exactly the same.....But you have to fill out a form and apply for this exemption stating that you inherited the property from your father.  If you don't do that the Tax Assessor will re-access the property to it's actual and true value and it is very possible that the property tax could double.....especially if your father owned the property for a long time.

You need to go down to the Property Tax Assessor's office and fill out the above mentioned form and/or appeal the new assessment in front of the Tax Appeals Board.

Losing a senior citizen property tax reduction or homestead would in no way cause a double amount increase in the taxes.  

• 1 month ago

Chances are very good the house was reappraised, or his exemptions, such as the Homestead Exemption, expired with his death. You should review your tax bill and find out--most states have them online for you to look at. There may be assessments added to your taxes you're not aware of. 

Some of the things that can add to property tax are school levies, sidewalks, streets or sewer/water upgrades or repairs, mowing or brush clearing if the homeowner is unable to do it, or exemptions that elderly people get for property tax reductions. If an owner lives in the house, that's usually one exemption--"owner-occupied property" can reduce taxes. So can age and income--the Homestead Exemption is an example of that. So can a recent appraisal. All of those things will be listed on the county's property record. You can also request it from your county taxing office. 

• 1 month ago

The most likely reason is that he was receiving a partial exemption against his tax bill, either for his age or as a US veteran.  If you are not entitled to those exemptions, you pay the full tax rate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sounds like the property was reassessed, or you lost a senior discount, or both.

• 1 month ago

The taxes are based on a number of things (mine include road repair and garbage pickup among other things) plus if the city assesses the neighborhood differently this will impact as well.   Question---was the other property tax bill marked as 6 month or one year? That might be what's tripping you up.  My dad's was paid every 6 months.  When I took over the finances when he went into a nursing home I  got the one year bill. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

1)  He may have been receiving a discount due to his age or income;

2)  Assessor may have updated the valuation when the ownership changed. 

• 1 month ago

Was he a Vet? They get a reduction in taxes, he also probably had a Star reduction. You can reapply for that.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Maybe he had a grandfathered property tax cap. Some states place property tax caps on homes to keep them from exceeding a certain taxable value, especially for senior citizens, the disabled, or people with fixed incomes. This is to keep longtime homeowners from being taxed out of their homes just because property values go up, like a couple who bought a house in the 60's for $20,000 on a teacher's salary and retired in the 90's with a teacher's pension but because of gentrification and an increased building up of community near them that has made their neighborhood more desirable and property values skyrocket now have a house whose estimated value is $750,000, the property tax bill for which they could never afford. This exact situation has quite scandalously forced people out of their homes under threat of the government seizing their home for failure to pay the property taxes. This has led many states and municipalities to put caps on homes when the home is purchased that keep it from being taxed above a certain percent of its original sale price. What likely happened is when you inherited the home and the deed shifted over to you, it got revalued and a new property tax assessment was made, one that no longer is capped based on what it was worth when your father acquired it. There likely is a new cap, but you won't see that cap limit your property taxes for years to come because it's based on its value when it changed hands, when you inherited it, so basically what it's valued at now. 

You likely could've avoided all of this and kept your dad's tax rate had your dad simply done a quit claim deed to him and to you as joint tenants with full rights of survivorship before he died. Had he done that, there would've actually been no legal change in ownership since joint tenants are all 100% owners and your dad dying wouldn't have meant you inherited the home but that the home was still yours based on a warranty deed back from when your dad bought that was merely amended by a subsequent quit claim deed that gave you interest in the property. Live and learn. 

How the really stinking wealthy exploit these laws and get around enormous property taxes is to deed their property to a trust, and wills just give certain heirs entitlement use of certain properties owned by the trust, thus a property can go forever without ever changing hands and without ever being reassessed and without any kind of inheritance tax or anything ever being applied, and so there are multi-million dollar estates that pay less in property taxes than a couple who just bought their first home for $150,000.

• 1 month ago

In some places, property taxes are based on what the property was worth the last time that the name on the deed changed.  So if it was worth twice as much when you put it in your name as it was worth when you father put it in his name, then the tax would double.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.