Bitter taste in my mouth & chest tightness. Acid reflux but Tums don't work, why? ?

I have acid reflux that gave me sour taste in my mouth and chest tightness. Taking tums only start heartburn but did not get rid of chest tightness or the sour taste in my mouth, why? Do I need stronger medicine? 

Tums only get rid of heartburn but not tightness in chest or sour taste in mouth. 

• k w

I used to get it all the time, pick up a container of sea-salt or Himalayan pink salt, pour out a tiny bit in the palm of your hand, and touch the tip your tongue to it,  it will stop the reflux like turning off a light.....try it, you'll be amazed.....

You can try OTC Omeprazole from the pharmacy but it will probably be only in 10g strength. You can also try something like Gas-X or Deflatine (anything with Simeticone) to reduce the gastric froth and turn it into larger bubbles that can pass along.  I think what you really should do is see your doctor for an H pylori test, and then if necessary they can give you 20% Omeprazole and a cocktail of drugs to get rid of the bacteria.    The problem you have can lead to ulcers so don't leave it unattended.

Tightness in the chest isn't a common symptom of reflux.. at least that I'm aware of. My son has had GERD and never experienced that. 

Chest pain and tightness can be a sign of something more serious. Like a heart attack or a sign that one may be about to happen. Or in the least signify cardiac distress. I think you should seek medical attention!