Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I was told that calling female teachers simply "Miss" without surname is sexist. Do you agree?

This is the traditional way female teachers in England are addressed!

I think technically the appropriate term would be M'am. But I usually hate being called m'am. It makes me feel 92.

You can exclamation point all you wish, in other places this would be considered sexist. 

• Prince

No, not sexist. Informal, however. Whether married or not, she ought to be "ma'am".

• Malika

Yeah, I can see how some people would be offended if they were called "Miss" especially if the last name is left off.   They may think you are being condescending- like she is a waitress and your server. 

I would stick with "Excuse me, Miss Smith... I need some help."

Or, ask how they would like to be addressed and go with that. 

You'd have got your ears boxed in my school if you called her Madam.

At least you were being polite and respectful. The "offended" should have kindly and tactfully let you know how she prefers to be addressed. 

i dont see anything wrong with that

Not sexist, but potentially rude.  

Miss and Madam are female versions of Sir, thus are appropriate on a formality level.  But the difference assumes their marital status is the same and that is presumptive, thus potentially rude.  Americans have overcome that issue by referring to women as Miz (Ms.) denoting the possibility of any marital status.  

You will discover there are lots of differences in culture between England and America.

I don't think anyone intends to be sexist by using that word.   However, the fact remains that the word IS sexist.

Men are addressed as "Sir" or "Mister".   Neither term denotes age or marital status.

"Miss" and "Mrs." define a woman by her marital status.  It's completely antiquated, inappropriate and irrelevant, particularly in the workplace.  She is entitled to privacy and her personal life/marital status is no one else's business.

The only time it's appropriate to use the term "Miss" is when referring to an underage girl. 

Any adult woman should be referred to as "Ms." or "Ma'am" which are the female equivalents for "Mr." and "Sir".     "Ms." and "Ma'am" are respectful forms of address that do not denote age or marital status. 

The title Miss goes back to the Victorian era when it was considered necessary to make the clear distinction between a single woman and a married woman.  Now, this attitude is considered somewhat inappropriate as a teacher's marital status is no the priority factor when it comes to teaching ability and social standing.