Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

Finishing masters at 25?

I was socially isolated by all my friends in the final year of highschool and developed depression and so it took me 2 years to get my life back on track. I finished a double degree- actuarial science and finance- and completed honours in in actuarial science and am just about finishing my masters in finance.

I felt worthless while going through depression, and people who didn't understand my mental health condition used to mock me saying I'll only graduate with their siblings who are 2-3yrs younger than me. Thinking back, these comments still crush me, is this too old?

Thank you everyone for the heart warming answers. 

Edit: 

rejectedsoul : it's people like you who push others into developing depression

Favorite Answer

It's fairly common for young people to get sidetracked in their late teens and early 20s by immaturity, poor college preparation, mental illness, failed relationships, the wrong major, lack of money and problems at home. Even though they start college at 18 or 19, it may take them far longer than four or five years to earn their bachelor's degree. You're only 25 and you've already got your master's degree, so you have nothing to be ashamed of. If those cruel comments in high school still bother you, you might benefit from some therapy.

I was 24 when I completed my master's degree, only 365 days or fewer younger than you. Nearly 98% of all people never finish a master's.  You are in the top 2-3% education-wise.

So you finished your double degree and then did honours in actuarial science and also masters in finance?

Maybe you're insecure because of the isolation, I'm sorry you went through that with your 'friends.' But it seems you're doing more than great :)

Masters at age 25? Don't worry, you're doing fine.

I hope that you find a useful place for your skills. I know from experience that it is tempting to just spend your whole live in University, in tertiary level study.

I did so many subjects that do not have a shred of relevance to my current profession.

The academic world is a wonderful and valuable thing to experience, but you cannot live there, you have to venture forth and do stuff.

If you have a masters degree in your mid 20s, you are doing better than 99% of the human race. So that's... something...

• Lili

Almost everyone I knew doing a master's when I was in grad school was OLDER than 25.  It is extremely common -- quite normal -- even for people in their 30s and 40s to be working on graduate degrees.  I didn't even start my master's/PhD until I was 25, so I am quite perplexed as to why you are concerned.

You have nothing at all to worry about.  Many graduate school faculty prefer older students -- they are more mature and focused -- so it's very, very common for graduate students to be older than, say, 23, when they complete a master's.

They just sound like miserable people. Most people don’t go to or graduate grad school at any age so they’re just trying to rain on your parade. I have also known people who had to start college(undergrad or community college) to retrain for a new field due to injuries in their 30s or 40s.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with completing ones Masters at 25, 35, 45, or whenever.  From the tone of your message, however, you still seem to be struggling emotionally.  I strongly recommend you get all medical treatment necessary to overcome your health problems.

Study sacrifice socail life

No. I'm 24 and finishing my bachelors at the end of the year. 

As another poster said, you're never too old.

I graduated undergrad at 21, went back for my MBA during a career change at age 37, and just got an M.S. in Economics this year at age 47. Yes, particularly for my most recent Master's, I was considerably older than most of my classmates. (sometimes people would assume I was the professor if I showed up for class early). but it wasn't an issue for the most part. 

Go for it.