Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Can I refuse service to customers for not wearing a mask?

My employer has told me that I am not allowed to turn away customers that are not wearing a mask. What are my rights as an employee? Must I adhere to my employer's rules?

My county requires face covers in public areas. 

Favorite Answer

The only right you have is to quit your job, other than that you have to follow your employer’s rules. You could always submit a complaint to the better business bureau or cdc if you think the conditions are dangerous. 

• L

Masks or no Masks are up to each employer.  As an employee - you do what your employer tells you to do or quit.

• xyzzy

If you do not agree with your employers decision then you are free to quit. Or you can just refuse service and be fired.

You can do what your boss tells you or you can get fired.

• Tavy

We have the same system in the U.K., store owners will not turn away people who are not wearing masks. they are not the police, they are there to make money.

Not your business.

No you cant.   Some people are exempt from masks for health issues.   You can NOT ask them about their health issues tho

just make sure those customers need to stay 6 feet away

I'm sure his workers compensation insurance carrier would like to know the dangerous conditions his employees are subject to so they can up his rates.

• P

While you are not a slave to your employer's guidelines for service you can be fired for not following them.   In general if you cause issues your employer will find a reason to fire you and they will do it in a way that you will have little recourse other than finding a new job.  

You have no rights. Welcome to America.

Take one for the team, America. 👌