What was your ROI when you invested in a company and bought shares?

I recently invested in a few companies that sell spirits, CBD, Coffee. Was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad investments. When the company they invested in was acquired? How much did you invest and get back in profit?

• Steve
    Favorite Answer

I think weve all had gains and losses. I bought something at $5 and is now at $18. Ive bought at 59 cents and now its a bit over $2, so Ive had some pretty good movers recently and in the past. I bought pot stocks to mixed results. Buying a CBD company isnt appealing to me right now, but hopefully it will work out for you. I think the coffee stock could take off and the spirits Im mixed about. As for an acquired company, I once bought a company who was reportedly looking for a buyer. I bought on that news. They never got bought and Ive lost about 80% of that investment. Those were my early investing days, so Ive learned from that. Thanks for letting me vent, though.

My longest held position since I had to start rebuilding my portfolio is Intuitive Surgical (surgical robotics).  I picked up shares at about $100 like 13 years ago, it has since split 3 for 1 and is nearing $700 a share.  Spirits, CBD, & Coffee have no moats, so aren't particularly interesting to me. My mom bought Exxon back in 1982 and her annual dividends are more than she bought the stock for (and it hasn't been a particularly great stock, just plugged along). Time is your friend with investing. 

• kswck2

ANyone that says they have gains up over 1000% are just lies. People Sell long before that. 

But everyone has had gains and losses. IT is the nature of the market. 

I have been in the market long enough that I have had returns on individual stocks ranging from 100% losses to gains well over 1,000%. 

Generally, but not always, owning shares in a company that is acquired has been very profitable. 

The size of my investments have been as low as $50 (for a short options position which made a $50 profit in 20 minutes) to around $10,000. Many of my positions I have not sold yet so, aside from dividends, the profits are not realized. 

I own a number of stocks that are up 4-8 times what I paid for them.  Of course, Ive had plenty of losers too.

I bought 13k of MSFT in 1987.   You do the math.   Don't faint.