Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Would I get attacked by a shark?

They say shark attacks are rare which they are. However, would it be likely I would get attacked by a shark if I wore a black wet suit, was on a black surfboard, during dawn in the middle of an ocean where great white sharks frequent. Would it be very likely that I would get attacked by a shark?

Why do you say that sharks are rare? In fact they are quite common, despite the dreadful toll on their numbers due to human activity. Your chances of being attacked are very low, but if you dress to look like a seal...

Unlikely but possible. There is no yes/no answer.

Great whites rarely attack, however such attacks are becoming more common over the years.  In a black wetsuit on a surfboard, you're going to look just like a seal to them. 

Personally, I would not take the risk. Surf somewhere else. 

Are you male or female?

You will win the lottery long before you get attacked by sharks.

My olden days of diving in shark infested waters never had a bad encounter.

Most sharks just ignore you, some just curious, some like leopard sharks are harmless and like a belly rub from divers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuqQklhZ-TA

Youtube thumbnail

Not an expert, but it's unlikely. It's definitely a rare thing because they don't like the taste of humans.

If one does get close, hit it as hard as you can in the nose.