How can I self-advocate for a new position? ?

I’m currently a guest services specialist in a seafood restaurant. I fulfill front counter cashier, drive through , dining room /hostess, and janitorial roles . I have worked there in the same position for 2 years and 5 months. I know how to open and close the front end ( encompassing drive through , front counter, and dining room with janitorial duties included  ) and I know how to work full day and night shifts on the front end. Previously, I had asked my general manager to be trained as a cook and he agreed , but he has since seemed to have forgotten about this. When I brought it up a second time, it was passed off as a joke. I often assist in training new front end employees , as well as often cover shifts for others. I’ve called out of work once the whole time I’ve worked there , and it was for a death in the family. Working on the front end does make me anxious, but I’ve reigned that in through these past few years . However, I would still love to be taken seriously and trained as a cook in the kitchen. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I can self advocate and talk to my general manager about this again tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance!

To do that they would need someone as reliable as you're on your current place. Can you personally hand pick someone to train to take on your place while you getting your kitchen training?

I would try to stay there for 3 years straight first, and document beginning from this week, all the duties, you do everyday in a notebook, after work, and away from businesses so you can write a letter to the boss or regional manager and advocate for better pay, more people hired, and for a better shift or position. 

With your experience you should be looking to move up in management and not into the food prep...unless of course you really LOVE to cook and LOVE to be in the kitchen.  So If your ambition is to be a 'Chef Owner' of a nice food service facility then you should consider looking for places that are hiring your skills at a higher level of pay.

Basically, I am saying that doing kitchen work seems like a big step both down and backward for you.

Maybe the restaurant industry is not a great place for you.

Working in the kitchen can be really high paced. 

just talk to your manager about it

just talk to your manager about it