Alexis asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

British has a long history in the past being invaded and controlled by many other countries?

A friend of mind said the British has a long history in the past being invaded and controlled by many other countries is that true? Well he was going on saying France and Italy in the past invaded and controlled the country at some point and so did other countries.

52 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

gee whizz , only 2 as far as i know and they werent countries , first the vikings then the roman empire .

• Prince
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Calling the Norman Conquest of 1066 AD a "French" occupation is anachronistic and risible. But calling the Roman occupation of the time of Christ an "Italian" occupation is utterly absurd. 1066 was the last foreign invasion, excepting Hitler's occupation of the Channel Islands during the Second World War.

• 2 months ago

ALL THAT IS ANCIENT HISTORY

• 2 months ago

Not Italy, But the Normans (french)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The Brits used to be tough.....a force to be reckoned with.

• 2 months ago

Britain has never been invaded by another country. The largest British country, England was invaded by the Normans in 1066. Apart from killing quite a lot of people the Normans actually introduced some benefits. They were eventually subsumed by the English and stopped speaking French.They spoke the English of that time. Many French word versions are still in English today.

The Normans went on to defeat the Welsh tribes in Wales and Wales now has English law although this can be modified by the Welsh parliament established 20 years ago. Scotland joined England in the 17th century because they were bankrupt and England paid off all their debts. The Scots have been subsidised ever since.

Britain or Great Britain is a geographical term denoting an area in the North of France where there is a lesser Britain. Thus the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Independence of Scotland would leave England with more money as they would stop subsidising the Scots who with a population of about 4m are a bunch of wingers always wanting more money and complaining about everything. The population of many English cities is about 4m plus and the Scots are no longer important because one benefit of uniting with Scotland at the time was to have an ally against the French - no longer needed.

I hope this did not strain anybody's attention span. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Your friend is right and wrong. Why don't you read a history book about  the British Isles (or at least about the isle of Great Britain) and discover the answers yourself?

There were successful invasions and settlements by various peoples - including the

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your friend is right and wrong. Why don't you read a history book about  the British Isles (or at least about the isle of Great Britain) and discover the answers yourself?

There were successful invasions and settlements by various peoples - including the Romans and the Danes - before the Norman Conquest in 1066. 

There was an invasion by France at the request of King John's barons to oust King John. That one fizzled when the barons changed their minds and ousted King Louis. 

Somewhere along the timeline the Catholic popes became overlords of England (John's day or before?) until Henry VIII and Elizabeth I ousted the Catholic church.

There was King Edward I of England's conquest of Wales.

There was King Edward II's French queen Isabella invading with Flemish help to oust him. 

There was King James VI of  Scotland inheriting the Crown of England as James I.  

There was the "Glorious Revolution" when certain Whigs in the Houses of Lords and Commons invited William of Orange (Dutch) and his wife Mary to invade and oust Mary's father King James II of England and VII of Scotland.

There was King George I of Hanover, a descendant of James I's daughter Elizabeth, the closest Protestant in the royal family tree. All the monarchs from George I to Edward VII carried more and more German blood.  George V had some Danish on his mother, and Queen Elizabeth  has Scots bloodlines from the Queen Mother, but the German predominates.  Not that the Germans themselves predominate in the government. Parliament had and has pushed the Royal Family's control of it aside.

That's England. There are still the early histories of Scotland, Wales and Cornwall (if Cornwall had a separate history. The Cornish are still known as "Cornish") There are also the Channel Islands (more French than English in its ways.  German invasion and occupation 1940-45) and all the other islands.

So though 1066 was the last successful invasion that was not by invitation, there have been a lot of foreign influences.  That's not the same as "control" by another nation.  Spain did not control England in Mary I's reign. Though Philip had a great personal influence upon a receptive Mary, Mary's Council blocked a full takeover. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, prior to 1066.A..D. , it happened often, many times by Denmark

• 2 months ago

The British? Hard to say. They weren't known as British back then. But if you mean the land itself, yes, they've been invaded and occupied many times by the Vikings, Danes, Swedes, Normans, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians, Romans, French, Germans, and attempts has been made by the Spanish and the Dutch.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.