jamie
Lv 4
jamie asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Shouldn't those who are former slaves (who are still living today in the U.S.) be given reparations?

52 Answers

Relevance
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Even though the USA was very late in freeing slaves...how many people do you know who is over 155 yrs old?

• 1 month ago

not by those who never owned slaves. I never had a slave why should I pay anything 

• 1 month ago

well I was going to give you $50,000 but you did $100,000 worth of damage so I have to say you owe me

• Rick
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

nope ..................................

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Not a lot of 160+ people around. 

• 2 months ago

I would contend that they've actually been paid several times over. How much did the Civil War cost? After that, how much did collapse of the plantation economy in the south after the war cost the country? In addition to that, how many trillions did the US spend in welfare in the last 100 years, most of which disproportionately paid out to minorities? Total that up and convert it into today's dollars.

• 2 months ago

Only if those reparations are paid by their former owners.

• 2 months ago

YES..... GIVE EACH ONE A ONE WAY TICKET BACK TO MOTHER AFRICA... THE SEE how much they still cry... NO MONEY BUT JUST SEND THEM BACK WHERE THEY ARE CLAIMING TO BE FROM..

• 2 months ago

Yes,  those who were slaves should be given money.   But not their descendants who were never slaves.

• 2 months ago

Yes, by those who victimized them (who are still living - in this country, the children of criminals do not pay for the crimes of their parents, and the children of those who owe debts are not legally responsible for those debts).

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, anyone who is alive today and was freed by Lincoln's Proclamation freeing slaves (September 22, 1862) should be given reparations.

If born the year the Proclamation was issued, that person would be 158 years old.  The money would probably go to the nursing home where the persons resides.

I think you should do the research, find out the names and locations of those former slaves, and then contact your Congressman/Congresswoman about reparations.

Good work - not a history major?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.