Why are there carpenter ants in my house?

I’m going to come out and admit it. I have a VERY irrational fear of bugs. Recently I’ve discovered those disgusting big black (carpenter I think?) ants crawling around my bedroom and bathroom. I never eat upstairs and only ever bring bottles of water upstairs. In the past two days I’ve seen about 4 or 5 of them on my counter, and even crawling up my leg! (Yuck!) I haven’t seen a steady line/trail of them, but it’s really freaking me out. Am I just being crazy because I’ve only seen a few or do I need to do something before they all start piling in my house? Perhaps I should call an exterminator?? Please answer this if you get the chance!

• Shark

how old is the house? they love to burrow in rotting wood. If you can't get rid of them call a professional in.

I wouldn't care why they are in the house and would be calling an exterminator 

Carpenters are usually in there before the plumbers and electricians and Painters.  The stink of paint drives them all out.

The big black ants usually live inside trees.

Do you have a big tree growing over your house?

• y

You need to deal with them now.  They are in the house, food you have left around has nothing to do with it. If you see actual trails and paths they are using, this is good, better then seeing the random one here and there. You will be able to use baits like combat or maxforce.  Do a little research.  Place the baits in the trails or where you see a lot of them gather.  Outside, look around the foundation below the areas of the house you see them most often. If you can find out the trails/paths outside too, bait them. Ensure there are no tree's, vegetation, plies of wood, garbage, whatever. Touching or leaning up against the house.

• Tj

Get a pro in to handle it, carpenter ants eat wood, it will eat your house.

Don't get more scared but typically you only see some of what's really there.  for your peace of mind you should probably call a professional.  just try and play it cool when they come.  If you tell them you're freaked out they may try to oversell you.

Ants have nests under or outside your house.  At some point, they may have even moved into the walls.  It's life.  Not much you can do about that unless you pay for an exterminator year after year after year.  All they can do it spray poisons which help for a limited amount of time.  

When they need food or water, they send out scouts to find it.  Make sure you have none for them to call in the rest of the colony.  Kill the scouts.  Wipe down surfaces as they leave a trail for others to follow.  If you can find where they are coming in, use a Terro bait trap from HomeDepot/Lowes (don't both with the other brands).  Put it where they come in and wait until no more ants are alive.  You might need more than one.  They take the food back to the nest which kills the queen and the colony.  

At this point, however, with just a few I would just make sure they don't find anything they like.

Carpenter ants are very susceptible to sonic attack, which basically means you should play music at them. They hate that. Ironically, the music they hate most is, yes, The Carpenters, so at least they've got good taste. Anyway, my advice is to play "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" at them all day, every day. Believe me, every carbon-based lifeform around will vacate your premises forever.